Still running 2.2 because update won't install??
msaly

I am still running 2.2 on my incredible.  The update will download but when I hit install it will count down to reboot but when it gets to 0 nothing happens, it doesn't reboot, it just goes back to the home page-- when I go to about phone and system updates it says its up to date.  A few days later I get the notice to install again and the same things happen.

My phone randomly deletes texts, and recently the low on space icon is appearing all the time even after I moved most of my apps to SD card, and cleared data on all others.    I don't want to factory reset if I don't have to.  Anyone else having this problem?  Solutions??

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Still running 2.2 because update won't install??
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Good morning and thank you Ann154 & susanc, for your responses.

msaly, I understand your concern with not wanting to do a Hard Reset, as well as how upsetting it can be when your phone isn't working as it should be.  Since you keep getting the same errors, and cannot update the software, a Hard Reset is the next step.  However, you can backup your data prior to completing the reset.  (Below I have provided these steps.)

•   Contacts: (One of the following methods should be used)  
    • All Google contacts and any Exchange contacts are automatically synced to the server (unless set otherwise) 

• Backup Assistant  

• Navigate to: All Apps, People, Menu, Back up (follow prompts until device confirms backup is successful.)

•   Backup to SD Card  
      • Navigate to: All Apps, People, Menu, Import/Export, Export to SD card, Phone, OK to confirm and start the backup

•   Pictures, Music and Videos: 
    • Should already be stored on the SD card or moved to SD card in order to retain the file.

Hard Reset:

1. Menu, Settings, SD & Phone Storage, Factory data reset
  2. Reset phone & internal storage (ensure that Erase SD card option is not checked)
  3. Tap Erase everything to confirm
  4. Device will perform a hard reset and boot up into the MR4.5 OS when done.

I trust this information is helpful.  If you still need assistance, please send me a Direct Message, and I will be happy to personally follow up with you.

Thank you,

VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try a search for the other threads involving the update to this phone. It sounds like you are getting the low space errors and that is preventing you from installing the update.

There was a method posted to clear the cache partition. You should read that instruction.

Have you considered backing up your text messages to the SD card? I use SMS backup and restore https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

You can backup the messages and you are able to clear the data for the phone storage app. This also clears the call log. The same developer has a on call log backup application.

When you say that you cleared the data already, did you clear the cache for the applications as well.

Also if you have a lot of saved bookmarks in the browser you might want to clear the data for that application.

At the same time, it might just be worth doing a factory reset in the process of getting your Gingerbread update installed. This will allow for a cleaner installation and prevents any leftover code from hanging around with the downloaded apps to then cause conflicts with the system later.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
susanc

I am having the same problem.  It counts down and then nothing ~ no error message or anything.  I get several notifications a day saying it is ready to install and it is getting a little annoying.  Is there anything that can be done so that it will install?

0 Likes
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Good morning and thank you Ann154 & susanc, for your responses.

msaly, I understand your concern with not wanting to do a Hard Reset, as well as how upsetting it can be when your phone isn't working as it should be.  Since you keep getting the same errors, and cannot update the software, a Hard Reset is the next step.  However, you can backup your data prior to completing the reset.  (Below I have provided these steps.)

•   Contacts: (One of the following methods should be used)  
    • All Google contacts and any Exchange contacts are automatically synced to the server (unless set otherwise) 

• Backup Assistant  

• Navigate to: All Apps, People, Menu, Back up (follow prompts until device confirms backup is successful.)

•   Backup to SD Card  
      • Navigate to: All Apps, People, Menu, Import/Export, Export to SD card, Phone, OK to confirm and start the backup

•   Pictures, Music and Videos: 
    • Should already be stored on the SD card or moved to SD card in order to retain the file.

Hard Reset:

1. Menu, Settings, SD & Phone Storage, Factory data reset
  2. Reset phone & internal storage (ensure that Erase SD card option is not checked)
  3. Tap Erase everything to confirm
  4. Device will perform a hard reset and boot up into the MR4.5 OS when done.

I trust this information is helpful.  If you still need assistance, please send me a Direct Message, and I will be happy to personally follow up with you.

Thank you,

VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

susanc

Hello VanessaS_VZW,

I would like to know what I can do about my getting notifications that the update is ready to install and then having it count down from 10 to 0 and then having nothing happen.  Please advise on what I can do ~ I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you.

0 Likes
msaly

Susan,

She is saying that you have to do a factory hard reset to fix the counting

down from 10-0 issue.

Ann- I do use backup and restore, I use 2 different apps for it- but it

takes forever to restore my messages and runs my battery down extremely

fast. I have deleted, apps, date, cache's everything and I dont have any

bookmarks saved on the internet- nothing works. Everyone I know who has

done a hard reset has had major issues. I consider my issues minor, as my

phone will work its just a annoyance, i dont want to do a hard reset and

then have more or major issues after. I'm eligible for an upgrade in a

month so I will wait and get a new phone- definitely NOT another incredible.

0 Likes
kalnyc

I tried Vanessa's advice about factory resetting to go from 2.3 to 4.0 on my Droid Incredible, but I have an issue - I have another phone (Trophy) as my active phone and the Incredible I just use on WiFi. When I did the reset, it's forcing me to activate it. How can I get the Incredible updated but keep my Trophy phone as my primary?

Thanks!

0 Likes