Re: Still No FroYo OTA?
jeepdakota

I tried all your steps twice and it didn't work for me either. Still waiting in Rochester, NY for 2.2, I have an Incredible.

0 Likes
ravenwhale

This time I did all the steps while in 3G and still not update.  Only, "You system is currently up to date."  Even thougth I set the date ahead, it is always back to todays date after I do the *#*#*2432546#*#*.  Not sure if this is part of the issue or not.  I am wondering if a system reset is in order.

0 Likes
TheMrGordo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did every thing in these instructions except I am not sure where to turn off the e-mail push and update?

I had no success. How do I turn off the e-mail updates?

0 Likes
FramCire

To stop email push/check, go into your email program and settings and set it to check never.   The key is that your phone wont try to update or check anything when you turn it back on.  When it does that it will change the date back right away.

You can try setting the date to 8 days forward and see if that works.  I think the key is to do checkin with the date still changed.

Try it both 3G and Wifi.... I forget which I had it set to.  I tried a ton of ways before I found this one to work.

As for factory reset..... I suggest you do it at some point anyway, so while it may not help push the update, it wont kill you either.

I am sorry this isnt working, try it a few ways but make sure you have as many things off as you can.  If you have widgets that update frequently, you may want to try and disable them too.

Good luck and keep posting.  Both successes and failures!

0 Likes
kymedic25

FramCire wrote:

I have posted this a bunch of times.  there is a way to trick your phone into updating.  It is not root, it is not 3rd party...... I got this direct from HTC and the exact method from a bunch of people using it.  It has not worked for EVERYONE, but it doesnt have any risk.

1.  Back everything up.  I am going to suggest a factory reset after the update,

2.  follow the instructions quickly and precisely.  They are all easy.

a.  turn off sync and background data, (settinggs>accounts and sync)

b. turn off email push or update

c.  change date (settings>date and time) to October 21, 2010

d.  shut down phone (long push power/sleep button and follow instructions)

e. once off, turn back on.

f. go to dialer and dial *#*#2432546#*#*  (DO NOT HIT CALL!!!!!!! this is *#*#checkin#*#*)

g.  once it says you have checked in successfully, go to settings>about phone>system updates

It should be there for you to update.  HTC phones check for updates every 21 days, if your phone didnt get it last time it checked, this will force it to check again and SHOULD get you the update. 

When you update emember there are pong stretches where it seems it is frozen but it is not.  Be patient.

Once you update, do a factory reset.  Restore your backed up stuff........ you are ready.  The numbe rof problems people have after update and factory reset is MUCH lower than those who just update and dont reset.

Please reply here if you try this.  Some people had to try a few times, but most I have seen got this to work.

I have tried this several times, on 3G and on wifi, both without success.

0 Likes
kymedic25

kymedic25 wrote:

FramCire wrote:

I have posted this a bunch of times.  there is a way to trick your phone into updating.  It is not root, it is not 3rd party...... I got this direct from HTC and the exact method from a bunch of people using it.  It has not worked for EVERYONE, but it doesnt have any risk.

1.  Back everything up.  I am going to suggest a factory reset after the update,

2.  follow the instructions quickly and precisely.  They are all easy.

a.  turn off sync and background data, (settinggs>accounts and sync)

b. turn off email push or update

c.  change date (settings>date and time) to October 21, 2010

d.  shut down phone (long push power/sleep button and follow instructions)

e. once off, turn back on.

f. go to dialer and dial *#*#2432546#*#*  (DO NOT HIT CALL!!!!!!! this is *#*#checkin#*#*)

g.  once it says you have checked in successfully, go to settings>about phone>system updates

It should be there for you to update.  HTC phones check for updates every 21 days, if your phone didnt get it last time it checked, this will force it to check again and SHOULD get you the update. 

When you update emember there are pong stretches where it seems it is frozen but it is not.  Be patient.

Once you update, do a factory reset.  Restore your backed up stuff........ you are ready.  The numbe rof problems people have after update and factory reset is MUCH lower than those who just update and dont reset.

Please reply here if you try this.  Some people had to try a few times, but most I have seen got this to work.

I have tried this several times, on 3G and on wifi, both without success.

OK, I think I have figured out my problem.  I bought my phone off of ebay and when I got it, it had an leaked OTA update on it that gave me the 3G Mobile hotspot and the better video camera.  The problem is I don't know how to get the phone back to its original settings.  I am using a MAC but I think I need to be using a PC in order to do it.  I found a YouTube video, but it was blurry and he was using a PC, so I was unable to do it.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
ravenwhale

Thought I would update you all on my month long adventure finally coming to an end.  I called VZN and a man I spoke to said that I should perhaps try a factory reset since it has been almost a month and the OTA never cycled back to me afer first failing on Sept 1st.  I waited until I was in a fairly strong 3G area and did the reset.  It worked!  I have my FROYO, and all seems well.  The 2.2 update does not come over wifi, it comes OTA, over the air.  So said this man at verizon.  Love this phone, and thanks for all of your suggestions on this forum.

0 Likes
TheMrGordo
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is OCTOBER 6 and I have still not seen an OTA. Maybe the factory reset is the way to go? 

0 Likes
Grayson

I received my OTA for froyo on the 4th of Oct through wifi. So you do not have to be in a 3G network to get the OTA. 2.2 is very cool and have not had one problem with it. Good luck and I hope you get it soon.

0 Likes
TheMrGordo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got the phone with a Verizon and HTC rep. I was told that the 2.2 update for the HTC DINC has been postponed until further notice by Google. According to the HTC rep it was due to some problems with the marketplace not showing up on some of the updated phones. I knew when I choose the HTC over the Motorola there was a chance of having to wait longer for updates because of the SenseUI.

Oh yeah, just for the record the HTC guy claims that Google handles all the update pushes. He told me like twice "If you think about it that only makes sense, since we don't have any servers (networks?)" I had read in more than one place that HTC handled the push and even the Verizon, rep told me that HTC handled the push. I guess the three corps in this have an easy way to point the finger at one of the other two?

0 Likes