Someone please clarify some things for me about this Gingerbread update.
omgsrsly

Alright... Someone please help me with some information. I hate to sound like I'm living under a rock, but I'm confused about this update I keep hearing about. How do I know which update I have? A couple months ago, maybe, I was just tinkering with my settings and selected "about phone" and it said there was an update available, so I downloaded it, and it changed the appearance of my home screen and different other things, but my phone worked just as good as it did before, so that is all that I noticed about it, that it looked different and I liked it, so I was happy with it. A couple of weeks ago I started having problems out of the blue with my multi-touch keyboard. I googled this forum and made an acct and someone named Cody was helping another user with the same problem, which was selecting space while texting and it taking away the keyboard leaving you to select the text space again, only to hit space and have it go away again, which forced me to use periods after every word so I could avoid hitting space. Anyway, he said to turn word prediction off. It worked for the guy he was helping, and it worked for me as well. I was happy and thought everything was back to normal. Well, a few days later I noticed that while texting if I hit the period symbol, exclamation point, question mark, or any other symbol or punctuation mark, it freezes what I pressed on my keyboard and the keyboard will not go away. I can exit out of text messaging, and get back to my home screen however the keyboard is still frozen on the screen with the symbol pressed down. Also I have an issue with my camera flashing on and off when I am trying to take a picture, and it will not let me snap a shot. I push the buttom down to auto focus and it just flashes on and off on the camera screen, the flash will sporatically come on and off and it's just all shot out, just out of the blue. I went into settings for my text msging and just unchecked everything, to see if that would help. I wrote 2 msgs using punctuation purposely and had no problems. But, my camera still will not work. Is this all because of this update that I downloaded? I just see a lot of people complaining about Gingerbread update and I don't even know what I have. I also had no clue that it's a good idea to reset your phone before or after an update. I didn't do this. I just updated my phone. Will it do any good now to reset it to its original state? I don't understand that at all because it would seem like if I reset the phone to factory.... wouldn't that take away the update that I downloaded anyway? I'm so confused someone please set me straight! Sorry for the long post but really I am just trying to understand what's going on with my phone. Thanks for any advice/help.

[minor edit to remove potentially sensitive phrase]

0 Likes
Re: Someone please clarify some things for me about this Gingerbread update.
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Welcome to the forum.  :smileyhappy:

OK, as far as which version you have, it sounds like you got Gingerbread. If you go into About Phone, GB is Android version 2.3.3 and the System Version is 4.5.596....

As far as the Keyboard issue, many have had success by turing off the word prediction, as I mentioned. Others have not. Some have had luck by first doing a Clear Caceh procedure (see below). The next step after that is a Full factory reset (which is what Verizon will likely have you do if you get them involved).  Personally, I have yet to need to do the Factory Reset - others have and even go as far as recommend it..  So I would start with Clear Cache and see if that helps. If not, do a Search for "In and Out of Factory Reset" using the search feature above. You really need to undertsand it before blindly jumping into it. Good luck.

Wiping cache partition 

• Power off
  • Power On Holding Home Key
  • When Andy with Exlamation Point Shows up Press BOTH Volume keys
  • Use Volume Keys to navigate to "wipe cache partition" and tap power button to select
  • Wait for it to finish and select reboot system
0 Likes
tim_12564

I tried the wipe cache method as described by Cody. 3 times. Not one time did Andy appear.  

I am really getting frustrated with the instability of this phone. Why they call it a smart phone is beyond me. More like Not -- So -- Smart phone. My border collie is twice as smart.

A buddy of mine used his as a clay pigeon for skeet. At first I thought he was losing it, but now I'm contemplating it.

I've tried so many different combinations of factory resets, reboots, battery removal, and even sacrificing a few chickens. I am starting to hate an inanimate object ridiculously called Thunderbolt. As if this thing was fast and not freezing up, rebooting on its own, its keys randomly not responding, and pretty much everything a phone could possibly do to annoy me. Frustrated is an understatement. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@tim_12564
Getting to the wipe cache command is most likely different on the HTC Thunderbolt than the Motorola Droid X. You should check the Thunderbolt forum in this community. I believe other users and perhaps even one of the VZW employees have posted the steps for the HTC Thunderbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
YaleK_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello tim_12564,

I certainly understand what you have been going through with a malfunctioning phone.  I would like to confirm that you have completed the Thunderbolt update released a few weeks ago, 7/8.  Your post made no mention of any warranty replacements, is this the original Thunderbolt you upgraded to? Have you tried running the Thunderbolt in Safe Mode to make sure that apps are not causing issues? Try this:

1. Remove battery and reinstall battery
  2. Power On device
  3. When you see the HTC logo, press and hold Volume Down key until you reach the unlock screen
  4. You should see "Safe Mode" displayed in the bottom left corner

Run Safe Mode for a few hours to determine if performance is any different. I am happy to continue troubleshooting the concerns you have with the Thunderbolt. 

0 Likes