Some picture text messages and group text messages will not download
RobnDawn
Enthusiast - Level 2

A couple of weeks ago I started having problems receiving certain text messages.  The biggest problem appears to be picture messages but it's not all picture messages.  The problem seems to be very random.  Didn't have any problems until a couple of weeks ago...most messages (picture or not) come through without a problem but then every so often I will get a message from someone, the text will have a box with "Download" in it. When I click on download, the message will change to "Downloading" then I will get a message on the top of my phone stating "Message not Downloaded".  As I mentioned it usually happens with picture texts but has also happened with regular text messages.  It is not isolated to one particular contact either.

In an attempt to troubleshoot, I have tried accessing these pictures/texts with the Wifi on and off.  I have also confirmed that my Data in Enabled (turned it off and back on).  I have a 3rd party text application (Handcent) but for the purpose of troubleshooting, tried shutting it off and using the basic text message application but am still unable to download the particular message.  I have also tried saving the picture messages to view directly from my smartphone but no success with that either.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated!

Re: Some picture text messages and group text messages will not download
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RobnDawn, let's get that working for you again! Launch the messaging app. In the lower right corner is an icon that looks like three dots stacked on top of each other. Touch that icon and then touch "Settings." scroll down to the multimedia (MMS) messages category. Ensure Auto-retrieve and Roaming auto-retrieve are enabled. Power the phone off and back on again. Re-test and let us know if it's working.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

RobnDawn
Enthusiast - Level 2

BrianP_VZW

Thanks for the advice, I followed the instructions above but unfortunately am still receiving the same error when trying to download the picture and messages.  Next steps?

Thanks,

Dawn

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Robin,

Thanks for trying the steps provided! I know you mentioned starting to have problems with the picture messages so I'm guessing they worked before? When did they stop working? When you go to Settings > from the Wireless & networks section, select Default SMS app > make sure Messaging is selected. (If Hangouts is enabled, it disabled the messaging appliciaton and its features.)

ElizabethE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jennGry_droidnotworki

Hi, I am having this same issue, is there a fix?

Please help.

0 Likes
mrsaross
Enthusiast - Level 2

none of these fixes have helped. I've done everything and killed my data. Performed a factory reset and still no help..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Mrsaross,

Thanks for you hard work! I am sorry to hear that your issue is still unresolved. Is the issue occuring with all picture messages or just picture messages from certain contacts? Try sending a test picuture message from your phone back to your phone(so put your number in the to field) and tell me does the issue still occur

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
mrsaross
Enthusiast - Level 2

PamelaF_VZW

I've tried that. Once they problem starts occuring its every text or picture thats outgoing. If i do a soft/hard reset the issues stops for a few days but then randomly starts back up. It's a huge pain having to restart everything everytime then redo the settings as I want them.

And when I call the tech support line, thats the only resolution they give me is to reset or use a third party messaging app, which I feel is ridiculous I should be able to use the stock messaging with out issue.

0 Likes
shelliekg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you had any luck with this problem.  I have the same problem and it is very annoying.

0 Likes