Re: So what exactly does it take to qualify a phone as "Certified Like-New"?
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
If you call in and nicely complain you might get the option to upgrade early. You still have to pay the new contract price, but its another option.

I would complain to asurian, since they cannot supply an equal or better phone. The Ally is def worse, not a ton, but not on the same level.
0 Likes
Detonation
Enthusiast - Level 3

This isn't through insurance, just the manufacturer warranty everyone gets.

And I've politely called many times but it doesnt get me anywhere. I'm on a family plan with 4 lines thats have different NE2 dates, so any time I mention wanting to swap phones, they say just use another lines' NE2 to get one. Either way, I shouldn't have to spend more money on something I already paid for and to fix a problem that wasn't my fault.

What also bothers me is that apparently there are people just asking for Droid 2's as replacements and are receiving them without any trouble.

0 Likes
shersher
Enthusiast - Level 2

The whole refurb thing sucks...everyone know its & there really isn't much that can be done. :smileysad:

If it's a NEW phone you're looking for, it's not going to be free.  I think highly of Verizon, but I doubt they're going to say "Sorry our update screwed up your phone.  Please accept this Droid 2 as an apology".

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
As much as people say that they asked for a 2 and got one I doubt it...

I am sure that it was a last ditch effort for Verizon when they had a Droid shortage last couple of weeks.

You can just blindly call in either... you need to have a reason to call that is new to the phone you receive. If you call twice a week just to ask they will tell you no...

They also test the phones you send in to see if there is an issue. They note your account to see if you are just lying to get a new phone. They can tell if you do a factory reset, because it requires you to reprogram.
0 Likes
ontheroad
Contributor - Level 1

The deductible idea is interesting.  I am using my 4th Droid1 phone and having problems with it.  I asked if I could pay $100.00 and get a NEW different phone.  Verizon said no.  It would be worth it to be done with the hassle.  They offered me an "early upgrade:"  I pay upgrade price (ie: Droid2 would be $200.00) AND extend my contract for 2 more years.  Nope, not now. Lots of new phones and better service from other carriers might be offered by next year.  

0 Likes
shersher
Enthusiast - Level 2
"NEW different phone"....carefull what you wish for.
0 Likes
ontheroad
Contributor - Level 1

I don't understand your comment - please explain.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
What he is saying is that asurian might send you a lesser phone... they also have the right to send you a refurb.

If you do the asurian thing I would go into a store to ensure you get a new one.

If you order over then phone they might send you a refurb.
0 Likes
shersher
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, thank you Cobjones!

All the money you dished out for the Droid, another $100 for the deductible and they send you ANOTHER refurb or a lesser quality phone! 

I guess it's all how you look at it though....While I would be TICKED, some might just be grateful for a phone that is WORKING.

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
I for one would just have them keep sending me one out till I get on that works....

I refuse to pay more when I already dish out that much money (initial and monthly)

I know there are Droids that work, because people post here that have had them since launch...

It is just that a lot of refurbs had issues, and they don't really test them thoroughly.
0 Likes