Slow 3g problem identified?
Iceshag

Moto Droid here.  My 3g isn't horrible, but it has always been somewhat slower than what is typical.  I was taking to somebody who is actually a consultant for Sprint yesterday and was quite knowledable about phones (I promise Verizon, I am not cheating) and he looked through my settings and noticed that my PRL version, which is '40066' is out of date, and should read 40068.'  Apparently this has to do with updating the location of Verizon/Sprints towers, which they share often since they share the same 3g technology.

My question is if he is correct that it should be 40068, how can I go about getting it updated?  I've done *228 a few times throughout the months, but it never helps even a little.. Aside from that though there really isn't a problem..but does anybody else's PRL number differ from mine?   I appreciate any feedback anybody has.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Slow 3g problem identified?
rkeesler

Just checked my PRL and it is 51803.  Would like to know how it relates to my 3G speed.

0 Likes
Re: Slow 3g problem identified?
yoboom21

Ok. I think I can answer this, but first ill answer. rkeesler

The PRL is basically a list of numbers that tells your phone which tower is the best to use to reduce call roaming. So, if the PRL finds a tower that your phone doesn't see, you'll get roaming. The higher the PRL the better, because towers that are listed are the towers the better provide the 3G service, because they are Verizon Towers. Now that we know what they are, lets talk about updating them. It's really quite simple, you have to go somewhere else. You've got to get in the range of a new tower. If you know you're number is low, it's because your area only has so many towers. You can't read something if it's too far away. So simply get closer. Which isn't always that simple I guess... But that's about all there is to it. 

0 Likes