Skype on Verizon Droid, am I out of Money?
doyling
Enthusiast - Level 3

I posted this on the Skype forum too but no answer right now.

Call me a noob. I just got my shiny new HTCinc yesterday.I installed the Skype app and registered my name and so forth. Since I am on a data only plan for Verizon, I paid $31 for the year of Skype to phone dialing. The $3 a month plan, but paid for the whole year. When try to make a call through Skype on my phone, I get the message about calls to phones go through Verizon's voice plan and are charged at normal rates. I thought the whole idea of Skype and the Skype to phone plan was to go around the voice plan on Verizon.

So, not to make matters worse, if I pay another chunk of money to Skype for a phone number, I think it's $90, will I then be able to make calls through Skype and the data plan? Or, am I just out of luck and lick my wounds? Sort of really frustrated right now, what did I get for $30.

0 Likes
Re: Skype on Verizon Droid, am I out of Money?
KlineAJ

You need to set up in settings which service you want to use as default, not sure how to go about that though.

0 Likes
Re: Skype on Verizon Droid, am I out of Money?
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

You should have read.  The Skype app only allows for Skype to Skype calling.  It does not allow for Skype-out or Skype-IN calling.  In otherwords the useful part of Skype has been removed form the app.  Fring was the answer to this but Skype has blocked Fring from connecting to it.  This meands that there is no way to make voice calls on a data only plan except for paying by the minute.  I suppose if you have another SIP plan or another VOIP account somewhere that is still supported by Fring you can still do it but Skype is not viable on Verizon for anything that there aren't a million better solutions for.  Until they support Dialing and receiving calls.  Yeah the Skype Verizon exclusivity thing is a joke.  They have exclusively given us a gimped app and given the iPhone one that borders on useful.  Good job Verizon for negotiating that deal. 

0 Likes