Severe hardware woes + very poor customer service = me possibly cancelling service. Pls help.
stevenjcampbell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone ever have just... an Incredibly (no pun intended) bad time with hardware?

Here I am on my 4th device in 13 months.

It started when I allowed a best buy mobile rep talk me into the moto x2.

Phone #1 had a bum USB dock that wouldn't transfer data.

X2 numero dos had a proclivity to stutter all the time...(edited post to comply with VZW Community ToS) that but then the headphone jack comes loose and all is broken.

X2 #3 same as #2 for headphone jack issues.

I fought long and hard and vzw offered me a slew of 4g devices which I chose a droid charge from.

But oops, cannot change a 3g device for a 4g device on warranty so now I get to choose from a myriad of garbage moto phones (wow a droid 3 or original x!) Or an incredible 2.

Now here I am with an incredible 2.

This came after I was offered and early upgrade over Christmas which I said no to, because I was five months invested in my current phone, why should I spend another $200 five months in??

Instead I called retentions and complained loudly and I got a pre owned incredible 2.

This phone has been an absolute dream. Even stock it is faster than than the x2s dual core CPU.

But getting this device in January I was warned that I am still in the moto x2 warranty period ending July 5th.

July 6th my phone started overheating and my screen will not light up with any images,just a dull black which I can still unlock answer etc.

Yeah. Freaking July 6th.

Now it happens just having it in my pocket.when it cools down all is good again...

As a last resort today being out of warranty anyhow I took the phone apart entirely, I took the motherboard assembly off and used compressed air to blow as much as I could behind the heat sync but this is just a broken phone I suppose because after reassembly it still isn't working.

So..long story longer, I went to a corporate store and they tell me I have two options, pay $500+ for a new device or get a second line and change to share everything for $50 more per month...

Or call 611.. which I do.

They tell me that I can pay $500+ or add a line (it'd be an extra $600/year I remind him) and he says sorry.

He can offer me an early upgrade that I'm asking for in March.

I said to him gee thanks, you are not really helping me, the website tells me exactly the same thing. Derrrrr. Dumb.

Basically, i was offered an early upgrade in December by a lackwitted tier 2 tech support agent and now because I didn't have $200 for a phone I knew would be severely updated I am being shaken down for a new handset.

I'm pretty upset to be honest, as I spend over $130/month with these guys and they just won't work with me.

So the conversation ends with me saying that since att has their own 4g where I live and that makes them an option for me, let's do math:

See, previously Verizon was the only service here that worked well. now I hear that att 4g covers here quite well...

$230 to cancel Verizon early

$200 for a brand new phone on att

------

$430

Vs the $569.00 for a galaxy nexus I wanted to get for $99 early upgrade.

Actually less after I get $50-$100 for spare parts on eBay for this incredible 2...

Asinine and no way to do business at all.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Severe hardware woes + very poor customer service = me possibly cancelling service. Pls help.
drunkensellphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sounds like you 1) (edited to comply with VZW Community ToS) your phones 2) download an app that is messing up your phone or 3) have a virus in your gmail account. First step would be try logging into your replacement x2 with a new gmail account. cheers!

0 Likes
Re: Severe hardware woes + very poor customer service = me possibly cancelling service. Pls help.
stevenjcampbell
Enthusiast - Level 3

1. (deleted to comply with VZW Community ToS...please keep post family friendly) i do not have a replacement x2. I had THREE DIFFERENT x2's before getting an incredible 2. So now i have an incredible 2, not an x2. Good work on reading though.

2. The incredible 2 is OUT OF WARRANTY. it is now mine to destroy as i please, and (deleted to comply with VZW Community ToS) has nothing to do with faulty hardware.

I AM NOT ASKING FOR A WARRANTY EXCHANGE, AM I? I AM ASKING TO PAY MORE MONEY OUT OF POCKET TO THEM FOR A DEVICE, BUT NOT THE ABSURD $600 THEY WANT FOR A NEW DEVICE.

3. you (deleted to comply with VZW Community ToS...please keep post family friendly) of the basic knowledge of software. a virus in my gmail account. okay. you mean the gmail account that attaches to the phone i would assume. so since a virus in gmail would have nothing to do with overheating, what did you point that out for.

4. you are really going to believe that an app crashes a phone. awesome. how about the fact that resorting the device to stock has the same problems. adding a new gmail account (tried that) has the same problems. having nothing but standard software, has the same problems. the only apps i get are paid for from the play store, and so therefore you really (deleted to comply with VZW Community ToS...please keep post family friendly) ?

Can i have someone (deleted to comply with VZW Community ToS..please keep our post family friendly) reply please?

HOW ABOUT A VERIZON EMPLOYEE? YOU GIVE A CARE ABOUT ME AS A CUSTOMER? NO?

0 Likes
drunkensellphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

LOL! Just thought I'd throw those options out there! My bad for misreading... I recommend paying full retail price if you plan on sticking with Verizon. You don't really have any other options because nobody is moving your upgrade date forward a year. Maybe next time you get a phone you will consider total equipment coverage or at least extended warranty. (deleted to comply with VZW Community ToS....please keep you post family friendly)