Selecting MUSIC results in SELECT PLAYER pop-up every time!
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a newbie to smart phones but a techie. For some reason whenever I want to listen to music (on SD card) by clicking first on "Connected media" icon and then "Music", I see this "Searching" status briefly on a pop-up followed by "Select Player .. My phone (preselected) .. OK / CANCEL"! How do I make my phone not go through this irritating prompt each time?

Help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Selecting MUSIC results in SELECT PLAYER pop-up every time!
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154,

Like I have been saying, I get the "Select player" pop-up each time I click on 1) "Connected" icon on "home-page" which displays the "Connected media" screen listing Music, Photos & Video options, then 2) I click on "Music" or "Photos" or "Videos".

Once I have selected "my phone" from the "Select player" window, and played a song, or viewed a photo/video, I can select other songs (or photos/videos) without seeing the "Select player" pop-up. However, if I close the "Connected media" screen and return to the home-page, the next time I want to play a song or view a photo/video, I see the "Select player" pop-up again!

And, no. I am not connected to any computer. Also, since I have a wireless (FiOS) router at home, I have enabled the WiFi setting on my phone. However, I see the same "Select player" pop-ups when I am away from home, e.g., right now when I am at work and my phone shows the "3G" (connection) status.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow! I posted my issue 2 days ago and no one here can give me a suggestion... definitely is odd.

BTW, I have a similar pop-up every time I select a photo to be viewed too, prompting me to make a selection. That's bad, IMO.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
If this is on the phone, the pop-up has a check box at the bottom for it to remember which application to use as the default application. Check it on first and then select your preferred application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was out of the loop for a couple of days.

No, Ann154, my phone pop-up prompting me to "Select Player" has no option at the bottom to set the default application.

Its like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------

| (V)  Select player                                              |

|----------------------------------------------------------|

| My phone                                                       *  |  <-- pre-selected (displayed in Red)

|----------------------------------------------------------|

|             OK                    |         Cancel                |

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Can't you just open the Music application and play the music stored on the sd card?

Maybe I'm missing something here but I have not seen a message like that before.

Is your phone connected to a computer when this happens? A different device?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

VaidyS wrote:

I am a newbie to smart phones but a techie. For some reason whenever I want to listen to music (on SD card) by clicking first on "Connected media" icon and then "Music", I see this "Searching" status briefly on a pop-up followed by "Select Player .. My phone (preselected) .. OK / CANCEL"! How do I make my phone not go through this irritating prompt each time?

Help!

Hi! I'd like to assist further too!  

Just want to make sure we're talking about just playing with music on your device and not being connected to a computer or other electronic device, right? 

If this is the case, if you open up All Apps from the home screen and you click on "Music", what are you seeing? There should not be a "Connected Media" icon, unless you are using some other resource to play the music.  

Please advise the steps you are taking to ensure we can help as efficiently as possible.

Thank you!

0 Likes
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154,

Like I have been saying, I get the "Select player" pop-up each time I click on 1) "Connected" icon on "home-page" which displays the "Connected media" screen listing Music, Photos & Video options, then 2) I click on "Music" or "Photos" or "Videos".

Once I have selected "my phone" from the "Select player" window, and played a song, or viewed a photo/video, I can select other songs (or photos/videos) without seeing the "Select player" pop-up. However, if I close the "Connected media" screen and return to the home-page, the next time I want to play a song or view a photo/video, I see the "Select player" pop-up again!

And, no. I am not connected to any computer. Also, since I have a wireless (FiOS) router at home, I have enabled the WiFi setting on my phone. However, I see the same "Select player" pop-ups when I am away from home, e.g., right now when I am at work and my phone shows the "3G" (connection) status.

0 Likes
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

AdamE_VZW,

Thanks! Now I get it.

I was able to select All Apps and then Music and was able to play a song without the aforementioned prompt!

I also found the Gallery & Videos apps and was able to view photos & video, respectively, without any prompts.

So, the app I was using earlier, "Connected media", is the wrong one to use. Hmm.. I don't recall adding it myself and so that is certainly a bug, right? I will remove that from the home page now that I know what works.

Thank you very much AdamE_VZW.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Finally checked the online manual.

Connected Media is a part of the DLNA feature. Where you can share your media with other devices on your wifi network like a TV or the stereo system. Page 244 of the manual. The support page for the Droid Incredible 2. http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5641&m=

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5641&m=

0 Likes