Screen Lock after Sleep
Xanderman

I have noticed that if I have not reached the threshold for screen lock, then put my ICS BIONIC to "Sleep" (hold down power, then select sleep) it never engages the screen lock. Even if it's been asleep for a duration longer than the threshold.

I think this is definitely a bug.

I have my screen lock set to 30 minutes. Then after 10 minutes I put my phone to SLEEP to save battery while I'm at work. When I "wake up" my phone several hours later I am not required to enter my screen lock PIN.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Screen Lock after Sleep
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No bug here.  When I put mine to sleep, then wake it up, I get the screen asking me for my screen lock PIN.  Haven't seen this issue mentioned, either.  Not saying you don't have the issue ... could be a bug in your phone and not others.  Have you tried shortening the 'automatically lock' duration and see if that does anything?

0 Likes
msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

First of all, let's be clear on the terminology:

screen lock = just that screen where you have to swipe to unlock (this is to prevent accidental input and operation)

security lock = pattern lock, password lock, face lock etc.

Which one are you talking about?

0 Likes
Xanderman

Security Lock.

If my Security Lock is set to 30 minutes and I put my device to SLEEP after 20 minutes...then wait about 3 hours and "wake" it back up, I'm simply presented with the swipe to unlock instead of the security lock.

0 Likes
msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

Ok. Let me explain how the security lock timer works: The timer starts immediately after the last input (touch, button press, also camera activity, motion etc for some phones) - although there are apps where you can prolong triggering the timer even without any input, such as when browsing/watching videos etc. Once there hasn't been any activity for the set amount of time, security lock would kick in.

In you case, you set it to 30 mins. So, 30 mins from the last input the security lock would kick in.

Now, you said something about "after 20 minutes" you put the device to sleep. Just so you know, it doesn't matter if it is 20 mins, 2 mins or 20 sec, it's right after the button press to put the phone to sleep is when the lock timer starts. So, 30 mins from when you put the phone to sleep as that button press is an "input" to reset the timer. At this point, you can expect the phone to trigger security lock if the phone did not receive any input for 30 mins. What you are saying is, that's not what's happening, correct?

Well, it could be a bug, it could be other things as well. Since, your security timer is set to such a long period, I am wondering is some kind of event is waking the phone up and resetting the timer. It could be a message/call etc.

Would you try a shorter duration like 5 sec or 10 sec or even "immediately" to see if it works as it should?

0 Likes
Xanderman

I set it to 30 seconds, put the phone to sleep, waited 5 minutes and woke the phone up. I am not presented with the "PIN entry" screen like I would expect. Simply the swipe to unlock.

0 Likes
msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

Can you tell me where the setting for changing security lock timer is on your phone? I am asking for the menu tree to that setting.

0 Likes
Xanderman

Menu --> Settings --> Security & Screen Lock

0 Likes
msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure you are in the right setting, not the screen backlit timer setting.

So, when you are at the security lock settings, at the top it should say what type of lock is selected, does it say PIN lock?

If yes, restart the phone and try again.

0 Likes