SDHC Micro card Class 10...?
IncrediBill

While I am waiting for my Incredible I've been shopping for accessories.

Has anybody used the Kingston class 10 16GB yet? Kingston says it is version SD 3.0 protocol but is backwards compatible with SD 2.0. The Droid manual spec the card slot at SD 2.0.

If the Incredible can't rise to SD 3.0 I am thinking Kingston's Class 10 card is no benefit over the current fastest SD 2.0 which would be a Class 6...

I am trying to look forward to Froyo with the ability to run apps from the card.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: SDHC Micro card Class 10...?
gpa111

read the reviews some of these cards list class X and perform at class 2... I have the 16gb class 6 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211378&cm_re=16_gb_class_6_adata-_-20-211-3...

and it porforms great, I have not tried it for apps2sd, since im using a stock eris, but the card is super fast.

0 Likes
IncrediBill

I just got off the phone with HTC tech support. They said that the Incredible will likely only read the sdhc cards at Class 2 speeds, possibly as high as Class 4 but confirmation of that is subject to more testing. All of their earlier phones prior to the Incredible would read only at Class 2.

I wonder how this might affect running apps from the card when Froyo gets here...

0 Likes
IncrediBill

Here's Kingston's reply on SD 3.0/2.0 compatibility

"SD 3.0 is not related to speed. It is related to capacity. It means that this card is compatible with the upcoming SDXC standard. SDXC will allow for even larger capacity SD cards. SDHC cards are limited to 32GB. As for the speed, you should contact the phone maker to see if it is capable of the class 10 speed."

Apparently SD 3.0 is an interim standard to bridge the gap until SD 4.0 comes with higher than 32GB capacities, the 3.0 cards will be compatible with SDHC and SDX devices, if I am correct...

The fact that HTC was a bit ambiguous in regards to the DI's read speed leads me to think they are not really certain. The tech did indicate it is a hardware related issue and although the earlier HTC phones were limited at class 2 read speeds she thought perhaps the DI may be faster due to the snapdragon processor.

FWIW I went ahead and picked an A-Data 16GB Class 6 which should be more than sufficient. I saved 40 bucks over the Kingston and if it turns out the DI can indeed read at higher speeds and there is a need I can always pick one up later, they'll probably be cheaper by then anyways.

Now I just need a phone to put it in....

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3

I have the Class 6 16gig and it works great....

I'm not benchmarking my phone's read/write speed because I know the hardware can only read/write as fast as the hardware will allow. Technology is moving fast and the speed/capacity of SD cards is improving quickly. 

Android 2.1 along with current hardware like the Incredible would not surprise me to be only as fast as as class 2 or 4. 

Froyo 2.2 yes is supposed to be "fast", and I'm excited myself but.... I have a feeling this new software is more aimed at browsing speed across the platform and probably not the read/write speeds of a SD card. Now I could be wrong about this but to me it only seems logical.

My suggestion? Just get the 16gig and don't sweat the class speed over 4 or 6.... save the extra money for a case, or some fruit stripe gum..

Lets get pumped up for Froyo!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY3U2GXhz44

0 Likes
IncrediBill

That's what I did, on the way from newegg.. I just wanted to get the most efficient card for the phone. I would have sprung for the Kingston if it would have made a difference.

By the time this thing actually shows up it will be the best accessorized phone I have ever owned...

0 Likes