Returned device
Kriv

I just returned a phone that wouldn't work anymore and received an email that it was damaged (which was not the reason for its return).   A photo was embedded in the email but i am unable to view it.   supposedly the picture shows damage (?) that occured to my phone and Verizon is claiming they will now charge me $299.00.   I did not drop my phone so am unclear where the damage occurred.   I feel if I had returned the phone to a store, I would not be getting charged and am beyond frustrated.   I have been a Verizon customer for many years, but am not so set that i won't change to AT&T or some other carrier.   I am now returning the REFURBISHED phone that was sent to replace my first phone because it only lasted ONE WEEK before it started glitching and stopped working.   I have been without a phone for one full week and am waiting for the new phone I upgraded to so I wouldn't get another crappy refurbished phone from Verizon.   THis has paralyzed my work and I am a small business owner.   my new phone was sent 2 day fedex!!  i was not offered overnight service and am beyond angry that i have been unable to contact anyone to try to change the shipping.   my phone is now stuck in shipping limbo and i've had to go through 5 days without my phone! Supposedly I will receive my new phone tomorrow but that means I've lost a whole weekend where I could have set up my new phone and gotten on track for MOnday work...now I'm going to waste a good part of my day setting up my new phone that I will probably have trouble with because I am switching from a Droid to an iPhone.   Verizon has done a terrible job here.

0 Likes
Re: Returned device
Not applicable

I am going to ask you how it was shipped back to Verizon. Was it from a pick-up provided by Verizon using Fedex or UPS ?

The carriers may have damaged the phone in transport. Their is a common carrage insurance of $100.00 which is a Federal Law but you or Verizon can purchase more insurance for more money.

If you personally sent it back via their return label, I think they use USPS which you can purchase insurance or Verizon should have to insure againt loss or theft.

In some cases your home owners or renters insurance covers your loss of the cell phone. With my insurance it is full replacement cost. So when my laptop was stolen years ago I bought a same like laptop and the insurance company just had me fax the police report and a copy of my receipt for the original item that was stolen and a new receipt showing the cost of the new laptop. its a pain I know but saves you money.

You could dispute the charges for damages in writing with Certified Return Receipt Requested tell them your phone was not dammaged by you. Tell them you will take them to small claims court (get the address of the court from your phone book) pay the small fee to file, in your complaint list the total cost of your phone loss, the new phone costs you paid, time loss by dollar amount from work or school, as well as transpirtation costs to the hearing. The court clerk will asdist you with all this or read the book they give you when you go to file.

It is a simple process and if you have your documents to prove your case Verizon will pay. But more than likely will settle long before it goes to court. And no lawyers are needed for small claims courts.vMost judges frown on their presence . Do not go to any arbitration under any circumstances . You are not compelled to do so and proceed with the court action.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Re: Returned device
Kriv

Thank you so much for this valuable information, I appreciate the help!

0 Likes