Return Policy Problems
St_Android

I purchased a Motorola Droid with a new two year contract. I payed cash for the device and decided later in the day that the Droid was not going to work for me. I wanted to keep the service but choose another phone.  I returned to the store the following day to get my money back on my purchase. After waiting quite some time I finally talked to a incredibly rude woman. I was informed that she could not return the device to me because the store did not have enough cash at that time. I asked what arrangements they could make for me and was told my only option was to receive a check by mail in around ten business days. I informed her this would not work for me and I needed that money back as soon as possible. She had no other answers for me so I took my things a left the store. I called the customer support number later on and the lady did her best to help me out. She spoke with the manager of another store and tried to help me out. The following day I called the store customer support directed me to and I was left on hold for twenty minutes before anybody even tried to help me. After explaining the situation the store told me the exact same thing. I unfortunately cannot wait around two weeks for a check to come in the mail to me. I paid cash for this phone/service and would like it returned to me the same way. It does not say anywhere in the return policy that you can return your device within 30 days as long as the store has enough money. On top of this Verizon associates have been at extremely rude to me at two different locations. This was my first cell phone contract on my own and I chose this company to do business with. I have been turned off by this entire situation and am seriously considering canceling the entire thing and taking my business somewhere else. Has anybody else heard of anything like this before?

0 Likes
Re: Return Policy Problems
Principessa
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you're planning on purchasing another phone why don't you just do a swap and then they only owe you the difference between the price of the new phone and the Droid (if there is one). 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I havent so far had to return a device in a situation discribed with Verizon but I have experianced the same exact issue when I was with Sprint and I thought it was a unique situation.... I agree with   that you might want to concider just exchanging device for one that will be more to your liking and then they should be able to assist you with refunding the remaining balance, now if you still run into issues then I would say consider your options...

0 Likes
Principessa
Enthusiast - Level 3

It has been my experience that the VZ stores are not very good although some people have had very good experiences with them. Personally I try not to go in them. I'm just curious why you didn't purchase online as the phones are always cheaper then in the stores.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

It's been this way for awhile. They'll either send you a Visa cash card or put the credit on your bill. I got my cash card in less then a week. I'm pretty sure I saw that in the return policy too.

Who the heck uses cash anymore for large purchases anyway... take that shoebox under your bed to the bank or credit union and get some interest on it! :smileywink:

0 Likes
Not applicable

This is common practice at all stores for all products.  They rarely will refund cash unless it's a small amount.  This is why you should always use credit cards to pay for stuff and then pay your credit card bill in full at the end of the month.

0 Likes
scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah but it doesn't sound kosher for them to indefinitely say "we don't have that kinda money" and refuse to refund you in cash. I mean... if you have an agreement that says they must offer you a refund in the same manner in which you paid, then they should work out a way to do so, even if it requires a manager to keep extra cash in the safe or something.

Of course if your agreement says "we'll refund you however we want" then there's not really much you can do.

0 Likes
Not applicable

No store says they will refund in the same method you paid.  It just doesn't work that way.

0 Likes