Re: Removing CityID adware on the Droid Incredible
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'd guess because vzn has a deal with the developers? it's really not that big of a deal. it's an extra icon in your list of all programs (burried among the dozens of other icons). i thought it was cool to have for a couple weeks....but i wouldn't pay for it. i suspect if you hit "yes" there would be a confirmation pop up that warns you that by accepting the terms you will be billed. but why even bother if you don't want it? i don't like it....but it's ONE preinstalled subscription type app. every pc i've ever bought has been loaded with that junk.....and many phones as well. city id trial came on my env too so i'm sure it's a deal with vzn.....along with demo or trial versions of games or other apps.

0 Likes
lsintampa

Sure but you can easily remove the trial software from your PC.

The real issue is that it is pre-installed and you can't do anything about its anoying behaviour.

I read on another board that if you keep killing it, basically you'll get the service for free.  Still it's way to bothersome to have to even deal with.

0 Likes
Beetle

The only choice I get is "Subscribe Now" or "Continue Free Trail".  I have gotten this three times now.  The ap runs everytime I get a phone call or make a phone call.

I called Verizon Tech support about removing CityID.  After several attempts to remove it the tech finally said this is an embedded ap and cannot be removed. 

Hey Verizon, how about removing this ap on your next update. 

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Although still on the phone I have not seen a tag line in forever. I know it will come up for 15 days or so.

I still have a tough time paying extra for the phone to tell me the location of the call when every other phone I have had has shown it without an additional charge.

0 Likes
IncredibleJim

Nope - lots of it came with Froyo - the one that **bleep** me off is Skype Mobile - provides absolutely no useful service and although you can force it to stop, it will start again and it can't be removed without rooting the phone.

Love my Incredible - but it is mine, and I should be able to decide what software runs on it.

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
tj28

I had the same problem on a Verizon Cosmos phone. Found that I could go to the download area and select City ID and then choose REMOVE from the options. Hope this works for you...it is very annoying to get that popup all of the time.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

tj28 wrote:

I had the same problem on a Verizon Cosmos phone. Found that I could go to the download area and select City ID and then choose REMOVE from the options. Hope this works for you...it is very annoying to get that popup all of the time.

This does not work on the Droids.

0 Likes
r110810

Maybe we should start charging Verizon back for the data they are allowing City ID, Amazon MP3 and Skype to collect and send back via our data plans.  Better yet, call your Congressman and complain to them and get them to call call Verizon on your behalf.  Most are running scared now that they know that voters will vote them out.

0 Likes
mikecrogan

we should consider a class action

0 Likes