Reception Problems?
kpw
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am considering returning my new Incredible 2 due to weak signal and/or poor reception.

I do not know whether it's the phone or network coverage in my area, but signal strength typically fluctuates between -85Db and -105Db. I rarely receive more than 1-bar and often have 0-bars. The signal drops about 10 Db just by holding the phone in a normal position. When about a block away from a tower, I can get 4-bars or 5-bars and it runs about -60Db.

3G sometimes goes to 1X. WiFi is all over the place and sometimes drops completely. 

From a functional perspective, I've received various network connectivity messages that force me to retry whatever I was doing. It even took multiple attempts to activate the phone.

Does anyone here have experience with Incredible 2 and another VZ device that is wiliing to compare reception? If the problem is with the phone, I am happy to get something else and stay with VZ; otherwise, the clock is ticking. Thanks!

Ken

Re: Reception Problems?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
What area are you located in? It might help us let you know if the area is a weak area or not.

Anything higher than -90 dbm is considered a good signal. So the -85 dbm is decent and the -60 dbm is excellent. The -105 dbm is really weak. The construction of buildings might be affecting your signal if you are inside.

You can also download an application called "Real Signal". It can report both your CDMA (voice) and the EDVO (data) signal separately from each other.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kpw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Located in Richmond, VA

0 Likes
so8sk

I am also in Richmond, Virginia, and the reception/signal on my Incredible 2 is AWFUL.  I authored the previous post "Poor Reception and Signal."  I keep getting the run around from Verizon.  If you are still in the window, I'd return the phone.  I unfortunately do not have that option.  I NEVER had any issues in Richmond, Virginia w/ my Moto Droid.  

0 Likes
tt1080i
Contributor - Level 1
This phone has reception issues.
I was at zuma beach (malibu ca) yesterday and had no reception.
All my other verizon phones always had reception there.
0 Likes
kpw
Enthusiast - Level 2

so8sk wrote:

I am also in Richmond, Virginia, and the reception/signal on my Incredible 2 is AWFUL.  I authored the previous post "Poor Reception and Signal."  I keep getting the run around from Verizon.  If you are still in the window, I'd return the phone.  I unfortunately do not have that option.  I NEVER had any issues in Richmond, Virginia w/ my Moto Droid.  

I saw your post before submitting my own; I am sorry to hear of your experience. The comment that you "NEVER had any issues in Richmond, Virginia..." is enlightening.

I haven't had a VZ phone for a few years, but my previous VZ phone seemed to have much better reception. The phone just before this one had better reception, but it was with a different carrier.

Ken

0 Likes
kpw
Enthusiast - Level 2

tt1080i wrote:
This phone has reception issues.
I was at zuma beach (malibu ca) yesterday and had no reception.
All my other verizon phones always had reception there.

Thank you; this is the type of feedback that will help with my decision. I don't know yet whether it's an issue with my individual phone, the particular model, or the carrier (no disrespect intended). VZ has a strong reputation for being the best network.

0 Likes
Lebpride

I'm in Clemson, SC and I had the original Motoral Droid and had no problem with reception, 4 bars all the time. My GF has droid 2 she gets only 2 bars but still decent download speed through 3G and no problems with calls.

I upgraded yesterday and bought the Incredible 2 like you guys did and reception... is HORRIBLE. 2 Bars if I'm very luck, 1 occasionally and90% of the time is at no bars, sometimes I lose 3G which never used to happen in my house.

Called customer service, they had me to switch from Global to CDMA, I was getting 2 bars about 60% of the time, lasted for 2 hours then I lost all reception, I got a pop up saying "There is no reception return to Global Network?" (something along that line). I chose Yes, now I'm back to 0 bars 90% of the time.

I'll be calling them again since the person I spoke to told me to see if it gets better throughout the day. No luck there...

EDIT*** Downloaded an app to check signal strength i'm at -118 to -102 dbm which is extremely slow. Not expecting this from HTC

0 Likes
tysmom1995
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I just saw this post, and I am so surprised at the date of the post. I have had my Incredible 2 for several months and I live in Dry Fork, VA, which is in a very rural part of Virginia a little to the north of the North Carolina line and just south of Lynchburg, Virginia. It sits on the outskirts of a small town called Danville, VA in Pittsylvania County, VA. I have never had issues with reception until about a month ago, when a terrible storm came through and actually damaged many of Verizon's local towers. When I called to ask how long they estimated it would be until we might have decent service again, the girl said probably about a week. That was a month ago. Since then, I have had HORRIBLE service, reception and the customer service has been the worst! And my ongoing nightmare is that Verizon is the best provider in our area. We have been a customer for many years. We were always so satisfied, even being in the middle of nowhere in the county. I don't know what we are going to do. I called the local store yesterday and the guy just kept repeating that I could do one of two options-come in and have him call technical support for me or I could call them myself so they could see what they could do about my phone. I told him for the upmteenth time, "My entire family is having these issues! We all have different phones! It obviously is NOT my phone!" So, he just repeated his mantra and I thanked him and hung up. Like I said, I just don't know what to do. I am so disappointed.

0 Likes