Rebooting Issues w/ Incredible
Six

Although I don't expect any sort of resolution by posting this, it will be a healthy exercise in venting.  Feel free to exit the thread if you are compelled to offer advice such as "bad apps" or "try 2 resetz et".

I purchased my HTC Incredible on September 16th from my local Verizon store.  While this would be my first Android based device, I was not unfamiliar with Android itself.  The phone worked flawlessly until two weeks ago, roughly.

The first time I noticed the issue was when the device was connected to my desktop PC via. the USB cord included with the Incredible when I purchased it.  My phone happened to be on vibrate -- I thought I had a text, but no, it had rebooted itself.  While it struck me as odd that the phone would do that without any sort of error message or notification, I dismissed it and life went on.

Fast forward to today and I am afraid to hold a call on the phone.  50% of the time I am on the phone or sending a text, the phone will unexplicably reboot and then continue doing so until the battery is removed AND left out for at least five minutes.  If I remove the battery, wait ten seconds and then put it back in, the phone will continue it's endless cycle of rebooting.

The phone mostly seems to reboot and then enter it's cycle of insanity when some form of "legacy" data transmission is happening i.e. text message / voice, but of course this could be entirely coincidental.

I have tried any number and combination of "fixes" found:

* Uninstalling apps one by one to see if the problem is resolved (and identifying a bad app) -- and I only had two apps on the phone when the problem started.

* Hard reset of the phone

* Dialing *228 to program the phone again

I am hesitant to get a replacement phone considering this is my primary phone -- I do not have a land line.  I had scoured the HTC, VZW and Android forums searching for any sort of fix but only find "snake oil" type remedies that don't work.  It's also discouraging to note that many users who have the issue are on their 2nd or 3rd phone with the same rebooting issues.  I am suprised that the official position of VZW and HTC is to throw replacement devices at the customer until they stop complaining.

That's it.  I don't really expect the issue to be resolved since it seems to be ongoing since the launch of the phone, but who knows?  This will certainly be my one and only rodeo with HTC and Verizon if the problem persists much longer.

0 Likes
Re: Rebooting Issues w/ Incredible
budone
Legend
If you decide on a replacement, you will not be without a phone. you will be shipped one while you still have this phone. Once the replacement arrives, you activate it and then send back your current phone with the FedEx label thY is sent.
0 Likes
delphinejq3

I'm having the same problem. I've spent some serious time searching for a solution to this problem coming up with nothing. My phone worked perfectly for months and lately its been non-stop reboots. Sometimes it reboots 4-5 times in a row. I'm hesitant to get a replacement fearing the same thing will happen.

0 Likes
thehuhman

I could have written your post word for word. I did go ahead and order a replacement. It came the next day. I put my battery and sd card in it, and activated it. And the very first boot was the same as my old phone. Except with the old phone I could make a little headway by resetting it. With the new one, I can't make any headway. It is just rediculous. I'm going to take time off from work tomorrow, and go to the Verizon store. I dread it, but have no choice.   :smileysad:

0 Likes