Realtime Privacy Monitoring on Smartphones Android sends out info without permission
ghamden

Realtime Privacy Monitoring on Smartphones Android sends out info without permission

http://appanalysis.org/

I think it si time for verizon to put a stop to ths NOW

0 Likes
Re: Realtime Privacy Monitoring on Smartphones Android sends out info without permission
AZSALUKI
Legend

the only way vzn could stop this is to not allow the downloading of third party apps. is that what you want? i don't think this is at all cool, but it's not news to me. have you ever downloaded an app and it tells you it will access your location, etc? why would a simple game or ringtone app need ALL of the information that it tells you it will access? marketing by demographics....that's why. android is much more "open" than the iphone system (although i'm sure some apps on the iphone do the same thing....and they have to be approved by apple to even hit their market, as opposed to android apps that anyone can develop for distribution). i got and android specifically because i wanted a smartphone with access to free apps. i understand that they will use my info for marketing. the alternative is to go to nothing but paid apps. again....NOT COOL!!! but something i can live with.

0 Likes
Re: Realtime Privacy Monitoring on Smartphones Android sends out info without permission
ghamden

The problem hear is we are not being asked for permission toi relaese any onfo read the detailed article

CALL Verizon let them know this is not going to tolerated mention the website www.appanalysis.org

The will violate their own privay rules and also voids the ETF

I just spoke to a rep to all the

Don't take invasion of privacy as no big deal

0 Likes
budone
Legend

You may want to get rid of the grocery discount card, oh and the gas discount card also.  Better stay off of the internet and all the sites you visit. Heck stores have developed small radio transmitters. You walk by with a Droid this shopping season, you just may get a text message telling you of a sale.

See what Walmart is getting ready to launch, if that paranoid. Will I care that WallyWorld will know that I (insert name here) bought a six pack of 36 waist whitie tighties or a twelve pack of Bud??? Nope.

Why should everyone contact Verizon? These are third party apps. Verizon is not involved in the transaction between you and the developer. That is why you are warned before you download, you are shown what they access. At that point you can say, "eh, nevermind".

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Except you don't get the oppty to review/reject nor "eh, nevermind" VZ Navigator, Skype, etc..... and between those apps they have access to EVERYTHING.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

w40d....you are right about that. this is why i wish these types of "studies" wouldn't print things like "30 popular or heavily used apps." i'd like them to actually LIST the 30 apps that they studied. then show tell us, which 15, of the 30, were sharing info. it's possible that none of the preinstalled apps are on that list. if any of them were the preinstalled apps from vzn, then i'd have a much bigger problem with it. THEN i would get up on my soapbox. but we don't know that skype, or any of the other preinstalled apps are sharing info. we only know that about half of the ones they studies do it. if the only ones that are doing this are ones that we have to download, then it's up to us to dis that app. i often see comments when looking into an app to the affect of "why does it need this info....uninstalled" etc, etc. the app will tell you what it needs. if a simple game wants your location then you have to wonder why. it doesn't need your location to function as designed, so i would assume it's sharing it with someone.

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I'd prefer to trust my own judgement over that of most published "studies". Again, I am legally bound to pay for a service that is now different than what I originally accepted. Sure, VZ may be legally right, but that doesn't automatically translate into user security and good will.
0 Likes
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2

Calling a front line customer facing rep for Verizon is going to have zero impact whatsoever. Name drop the website all you want.

Get out without an ETF? lmao. too funny.

0 Likes