Random shutdowns after 2.2 update
Justin_b

Ever since the 2.2 update I have had random shut downs of my X. I will pick the phone up, try and turn the screen on and realise it is off. I have to pull the battery before it will even boot back up.

Is this a common issue?

0 Likes
Re: Random shutdowns after 2.2 update
Wildman
Legend

No this is not normal but it has been verified that the 2.1 settings and apps usually cause issues with the device after 2.2 update and it is suggested that you follow these instructions at http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Minimize-Droid-X-Issues-After-Froyo-Update/td-p/2965... and this usually resolves your issues... Make sure everything is backed up before proceeding..

0 Likes
Justin_b

did the factory reset, followed all the instructions at that post, disabled auto restore and then activated phone.

reinstalled apps.

Now, the phone has rebooted itself twice today and is telling me the uptime is 1 day 59 minutes.

0 Likes
August03
Contributor - Level 3

I would recommend putting the device into safe mode (if applicable). If it reboots while the user is in safe mode, then it is going to be a larger issue and would need to be replaced. If it does not have an issue while the user is in safe mode, then it may be a downloaded application that is causing the issue (ex. task killer, virus protection program).

Hope this helps

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Just thought I'd post my 2 cents here on this topic. I have had my X for a month now ... Love it.  I've had like 2 or 3 on-its-own reboots.  The only thing I can put my finger on is it has to do with when I have GPS turned on and doing "location/place" type of information gathering. I installed an app over the weekend (My Location Widget) so that I cold post my location for friends at a fair I attended. I also had the FaceBook "places" thing active ... I had Twitter up and live, all this GPS stuff going in the background, etc. and in the middle of the street fair it rebooted.  So I'm not sure, but it SEEMS like either GPS type of activity caused it; or just maybe I was running way too much applications for it to handle.  (I do NOT run ATK.)

Anyway, there just seems to be some limits with how much and WHAT can run on this device...  Otherwise it's been rock steady and it stays up all day long until I shut it down at bedtime.   YMMV.

0 Likes