Question about hotspot data plan
BOOTYCHEEKS
Does anybody know how this databplan works? I know it is 2 gb, but how does it determine the size/space of what im doing? What i mean is, does it diminish my space only when im downloadin a file? Or does it diminish everytime something on he internet loads? For instance, a web page or streaming (not downloading) a video. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. I just added the hotspot option today and i haven't used it yet because i dont wanna use up all of my space. Thanks for any help.
0 Likes
Re: Question about hotspot data plan
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

yeah, unfortunately data is data.  No matter what form it is in it counts against your 2gb limit.  Visiting a webpage=Data, Downloading a file=data, streaming music=data, checking yur email=data.

2gb should be fine for the hotspots intended use......that is, use very little data and don't stream anything and don't download large files or attachments.  But, Verizon doesn't make it very clear.

The only thing that will not count against Data is simply not using the feature.  Most everything you would need on your PC for network/internet can be done via Droid X.  Download the file to your phone and xfer it via USB.  Create a spreadsheet on your PC and xfer it via USB to your phone to send out the email.  Not ideal but it works and it's "free" 

"you can quote me on the Quote, Unquotes"

Dj

0 Likes
BOOTYCHEEKS
Thanks man. I only use my internet to stream anime and i watch about 4 hours a week. I can do everything else on my dx. It's just that i can't watch anythin without the flash player which is the only reason i got the hotspot, but i guess 4 hours a week is using way too much space. I will watch as much as i can and just check my data usage. Thanks again.

I guess this question is solved. How do i mark it as solved?
0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Well, maybe not. 

Just keep track of the Data youve used.  if a 2hr flash steam is 300 - 400Mb of Data (i am just guestimating and have done no research on this)  then you should be ok for a few of them.

Just keep checking your data through "my verizon"  Keep in mind the data usage can be up to 24 hrs behind when you look at it.

plus, the next OS upgrade has Flash so you can watch to your hearts content on the X.  Albeit on a 4.3" screen...an awesome 4.3" screen tho.

Dj.

0 Likes
BOOTYCHEEKS
Yea im only using this until then. My systems are 2 powerful to connect to the internet so i can't play my games, but ill be fine with watchin anime.
0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

BOOTYCHEEKS wrote:
Yea im only using this until then. My systems are 2 powerful to connect to the internet so i can't play my games, but ill be fine with watchin anime.

Wondering what you mean by 2 powerful to connect to the internet?  You mean, you fear using too much data on your home PC through the Droid Hotspot?  Yeah, definately don't try to play a game though it.  Plus VZW prohibits using tethering of any kind as your primary internet connection.  It isnt meant to replace your home broadband...I think that's why the tight limit on it.

Best of luck.  Oh, you should see a button somewhere near the begining of the thread that lets you"solve" it .

Plus, i see you are new here.  If you like any responses you see on the forums be sure to click "kudos" on the left side of the post you like.   I'm new too, but so far have had a good time and had a bunch of questions answered.

Dj.

0 Likes
BOOTYCHEEKS
Yea i was talkin about my ps3 and 360. as soon as they connect the service shuts down. Thanks. Ima go find the solve button if i can.
0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

right on...pretty funny that you "shut down" the hotspot with your PS3! 

Dj.

0 Likes