Problem Using MS Bing Turn-By-Turn Directions On Droid X
dmw4814

I downloaded and installed Microsoft Bing on my Droid X from the Verizon section of the Android Market. It installed and works fine, except for one HUGE thing - when attempting to set the end-point (or destination) from the phone contacts, there is NO WAY (that I can see) to select a specific contact! The keyboard does nothing but select the very first contact listed no matter what you type and the contacts seem to be listed in a completely random order - in other words, they are NOT sorted alphabetically. Trying to scroll through more than 700 contacts that are sorted completely randomly is a HUGE problem - this makes Bing's Turn-By-Turn navigation completely useless (in fact, I uninstalled it from my Droid X for this reason)!

I had Bing on my HTC Imagio (Windows Mobile 6.5) and it worked perfectly - to select a contact, you only had to type in part of the contact (name or city, for example).

Anybody else notice this? Did Verizon intentionally do this to encourage you to use VZ Navigator?

Dennis

0 Likes
Re: Problem Using MS Bing Turn-By-Turn Directions On Droid X
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm seeing that too on my phone and I only downloaded it to try it out. Maybe it is time to send email to the developer using that handy dandy email address link in the market. Did Bing sort the contacts correctly on your imagio?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Yatman60

I don't beleive the Bing app on Android supports voice turn by turn. It does on Windows Mobile 6.5 for sure but I think if you want voice turn-by-turn on Android, you have to use the Google Maps.

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Ann154 wrote:
I'm seeing that too on my phone and I only downloaded it to try it out. Maybe it is time to send email to the developer using that handy dandy email address link in the market. Did Bing sort the contacts correctly on your imagio?

Good idea Ann!  They won't fix it if they don't know its a problem.  More likely, they won't fix it IF they know it's a problem but no one complains to them about it.

Side note....Ann, What's a BOTB and how'd you get that nifty ribbon?? 

Dj.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

djtonic wrote:

Good idea Ann!  They won't fix it if they don't know its a problem.  More likely, they won't fix it IF they know it's a problem but no one complains to them about it.

Any time I have had an issue with a downloaded app from the market, I have always tried to email the developer first to ask,  "Am I using this right?" or "Could some part of the program be made more user friendly", etc.  Because emailing one developer, I am now on his beta testing group.  And boy has that particular app improved from when I startng using it with the help of his worldwide group of beta testers.

djtonic wrote:

Side note....Ann, What's a BOTB and how'd you get that nifty ribbon?? 

Dj.

The BOTB title means "Best of the Best" and it is part of a program that started in the forum a few weeks ago.  I was very surprised to have been one the people chosen.  I will only have the title for week and next week some other people will have the honor of being "Best of the Best"  You can learn more about the program via the following link.  Maybe someday you will have the honor too!

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Best-of-the-Best/bd-p/BOTB

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SHAC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why would you need to download and install the Bing app for turn-by-turn? The Android system has native, free Google Navigation and after a few uses, I'm impressed. I laughed when people were using phones for turn-by-turn, but after I used it all I can say is that it's better than my Garmin Nuvi (which has since been sold on eBay!)

0 Likes
dmw4814

I wanted to download and use Bing for turn-by-turn directions because I currently PAY for VZ Navigator (which, truth be told, is a pretty darn good turn-by-turn navigation program!) and I used Bing on my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone and liked it, plus it's free!

I do NOT like the Google navigation program, plus I heard it's not particularly accurate (actually, what I read was that Bing is more accurate).

THAT'S why!

Dennis

0 Likes