Phone is LOSING battery power plugged in today in non-3g area (only 1x) - What the heck?
jmk8732

The last time I worked in my office HQ my phone wouldn't charge with my old BlackBerry Storm usb cable, and the battery even overheated, so I ordered new usb cables from a Verizon store.
I'm working back in my office with the bad (only 1x) reception again today. Phone has been totally fine working from home the last 2 days.

I have the same EXACT set up at work as I do at home - I have a DELL laptop dock at home and work. My usb cable is plugged to the back of the dock. My DInc charged (and synched) just fine at home (with the same vzn usb cable too). Today at my office, it's been plugged in for 30 minutes and LOSING battery power (it's set to charge only and nothing extra is running on it):

10:30am 71% battery
10:48 69% battery (106.2 degrees)
10:56 68% battery (107.1 degrees)
11:13 66% battery (107.1 degrees)

It's got to be the 1x signal just killing my phone right? I'm not even using the phone this morning, and have the settings unchecked for 'always on data' too and have nothing intensive running in the background (just Touchdown really).

Any thoughts or similar experiences when not in a 3g zone??
This is unacceptable if I cannot charge my phone at work...
0 Likes
Re: Phone is LOSING battery power plugged in today in non-3g area (only 1x) - What the heck?
elmariachi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Low reception will kill any phones battery life. If you are unable to receive 3g/data as well I would suggest turning that off as well.

0 Likes
Re: Phone is LOSING battery power plugged in today in non-3g area (only 1x) - What the heck?
budone
Legend

jmk8732 wrote:

The last time I worked in my office HQ my phone wouldn't charge with my old BlackBerry Storm usb cable, and the battery even overheated, so I ordered new usb cables from a Verizon store.
I'm working back in my office with the bad (only 1x) reception again today. Phone has been totally fine working from home the last 2 days.

I have the same EXACT set up at work as I do at home - I have a DELL laptop dock at home and work. My usb cable is plugged to the back of the dock. My DInc charged (and synched) just fine at home (with the same vzn usb cable too). Today at my office, it's been plugged in for 30 minutes and LOSING battery power (it's set to charge only and nothing extra is running on it):

10:30am 71% battery
10:48 69% battery (106.2 degrees)
10:56 68% battery (107.1 degrees)
11:13 66% battery (107.1 degrees)

It's got to be the 1x signal just killing my phone right? I'm not even using the phone this morning, and have the settings unchecked for 'always on data' too and have nothing intensive running in the background (just Touchdown really).

Any thoughts or similar experiences when not in a 3g zone??
This is unacceptable if I cannot charge my phone at work...

In addition to the suggestions above, are you using the same wall outlet as you did the last time you worked at HQ?

0 Likes
jmk8732

I'm using the usb cable hooked up to my laptop (same as I have at my home office)

0 Likes
jmk8732

I am receiving my emails and data, just the phone won't charge thru any of my usb ports.

I guess I can try disconnecting my mobile connection to see if it'll charge, but that's not an ideal solution as I like the phone to be on during the day...

0 Likes
jmk8732

Ok, so I just turned off my Mobile Network, and the phone is finally charging correctly (went from 46% to 53% in the last 20 minutes - first time all day the battery meter went UP when charged).

So I can now charge the DInc at work, but not having any mobile service at work is really not a solution for me as I don't want my phone 'off' for service.

So 1x is the culprit and this is bad. My Blackberry had the same 1x only service in my office and it didn't kill the battery all day like the DInc is.

Is there any other solutions here so I can keep my phone on at work??

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3

You have WiFi at work? Set it to that and it'll keep it from searching so hard for a signal. I do see apps floating around specifically for this problem. It'll turn off 3g making it 2g to save on battery. Problem is I don't need the app and am not really into trying it out so I can't help with a link. 

0 Likes
elmariachi
Enthusiast - Level 3

SwitchPro Widget is one that will let you do that, apparently. I haven't needed to go down from 3 to 2g so I can't confirm how well it works.

0 Likes