Phone call problem...screen goes blank
clicker187

After I make a phone call the screen goes blank. I have tried pressing all the buttons and screen the screen display only flashes for a second. If I keep working at it...the screen finely stays on long enough to make an entry (i.e. Speaker Phone, End call, etc. )

Any suggestions????

0 Likes
Re: Phone call problem...screen goes blank
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Did you install 3rd party applications? Use Spare Parts to see if you have a runnaway application thats pegging the CPU and/or memory.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Did you install 3rd party applications?

Use Spare Parts to see if you have a runnaway application thats pegging the CPU and/or memory.

0 Likes
machwave

Had same problem and lucked into the answer by trial and error.  Its a minor design flaw. To conserve battery in voice mode, the display goes blank when the phone is held to the ear. The designers accomplished that by using the ambient light sensor in the upper left hand corner  next to the speaker slot. (Its an infrared sensor behind the plastic so you can't see it)  When held to the ear in voice mode , it senses the blocked light and blanks the display.  The problem is  if  you hold the phone with your left hand and place your thumb anywhere near the sensor when its not to your ear, it will still blank the display, sometimes erratically depending on how you hold the phone.   Not as much a problem for right hander's. I suspect they'll need to look for a better blanking method in the next version.

0 Likes
machwave

PS.... last post refers to the  Droid that came out on 11/6/2209

0 Likes
sumcogitovolo

Sorry to resurect an old post but I wanted to add on to this, if you think it would be good to protect your droid with a plastic case like I did, look at the design of the case.  Mine covers the proximity sensor.  It seems that there is a bug in the software if the proximity sensor is covered it will never come out of the blank screen mode no matter how much you press the power button.  When buying a case make sure it doesnt cover the top left corner of the phone.

0 Likes
Suigeneris

I have the same problem. I noticed that it does it if you hold the phone vertically but, only half the time if you hold it horizontally. I have another thread going to see if maybe there is a setting where we can just turn it off. Very annoying.

0 Likes