Only 256MB of RAM!?
celsius1

So I've been trolling the net looking for a good phone to replace my Crapberry Storm 1. I finally found the Incredible knowing that its practically the Nexus One ++ but now I'm seeing on my phone that it only 256 MB of RAM!? This is quite a shame because I dont understand how you put a year old amount of RAM into a brand new super phone for the biggest network in the US. I understand that its not killing my usability completely right now but I know that a 2 year contract is a long time and having half the RAM of a phone that came out before hand is going to kill me later.

Now is this true that it only had 256 MB and thats all or is this a situation where 256MB of it is reserved somewhere I cant see or is locked until Froyo comes out or something? Just seems ridiculous to me and its not like Verizon included the amount of RAM on their websites spec sheet so I could verify either way. HTC says its 512 on their site but for some reason it seems like I'm only accessing 256 at this time (aka after a kill all task is thrown my RAM sits at ~208MB so Im guessing the other 50ish is system processes). Let me know so I can justify to myself why I bought this phone instead of waiting (a little bitter after the Storm 1 hahaha).

0 Likes
Re: Only 256MB of RAM!?
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its 512!!

0 Likes
Re: Only 256MB of RAM!?
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

That detail is in the specs on the website.  Furthermore, I wouldn't worry about it for a long time.  On my Droid with 256 mb ram, I've never had any memory problems.  When I look at my memory, I am often down to around 30 mb.  One of the best parts of Android is that it will take care of this automatically for you and kill whatever is necessary to keep the phone running smoothly (unless you have a badly written app which is rare). Froyo 2.2 should make both phones even more efficient with a JIT compiler.

0 Likes