Re: OK so who else is fed up with this froyo 2.2 update
kansaswrangler
Enthusiast - Level 3

Someone did a tutorial on the Android forum for installing Hebrew font support, I don't know if it works good or not, but here's the link.

http://androidforums.com/i7500-all-things-root/112170-installing-hebrew-support-any-rom.html

0 Likes
meyerrj

Actually, it's Google/Android Development -> HTC Development (Sense UI modifications) -> Verizon Modifications -> Released Update

Google and HTC have released their updates, it's in Verizon's hands now.

My guess is Verizon is still working out bugs, or figuring out which features to lock down. There are already reports that the hotspot feature will be locked down for Verizon users, and some devices aren't shipping with the Flash update for unknown reasons. They could even be working on methods to prevent rooting, since it's apparently quite easy to do (if you can follow directions that is).

There may even be legal issues causing the delays since Oracle America (formally Sun Microsystems) just sued Google over Android and the Dalvik JIT. 

Given the confusion and bad press, I still cannot believe that Verizon has not made any official statements to clear the air on this whole update fiasco. They should be more transparent about when the updates are expected, and what features they're restricting/removing/modifying from the publicized features. 

As much as I want to root my device, I haven't for warranty reasons,

{word filter avoidance} 

{edit for TOS violation}

Meh.

0 Likes
g0dhand

Most of the complaints on the FroYo update threads are pointless, in my opinion.  All of the preconceived customer complaints are so repetitive;  Most claims that "Verizon said the update will roll out on MMDDYYYY" that people post here are so inconsistent.  The only source for most of them are the customer posts themselves, or links to third-party sites that, while some may be more credible than others, still aren't that credible at all in the grand scheme of both reliable media and information.

The only announcements that were made in regard to FroYo updates FROM VERIZON were for the phones Verizon confirmed the updates on.

If you check the support pages for the phones that have been updated or phones that will receive the update in the future, you'll notice that there's an image file with a picture of the phone that has/will receive the update, as well as the features that are included in the update.

On the Droid Incredible support pages there is no, and has not been any, information regarding said updates coming to the incredible yet.

Anyone complaining and making claims to Verizon that they're poorly representing the Droid Incredible customer base are claims of ignorance.  Anyone posting complaints are relying on third-party media information; that of which do not even have direct links the source.

Their direct source is the third-party media.

It'd be one thing if Verizon (the corporation itself) made an announcement to it's customers that an OTA update including FroYo was supposed to start rolling out the 18th of August; only for customers to find out that as of today it still hasn't rolled out.

But that's not the case.  Stop crying.  If the day comes where Verizon makes an announcement on the update for the Droid Incredible, and their actions don't speak as loud as their words, then start crying.

Until then, blow your noses.

0 Likes
meyerrj

g0dhand, I agree. However, given the third-party sites and media that are fueling the misinformation, I believe Verizon has a responsibility to publicly dismiss them. If Verizon put out official statements on their support pages and their website regarding the misinformation (instead of Twitter posts and a brief forum post), Verizon could save us and themselves a lot of grief. It would also send a clear message that these third-party sites aren't credible and can't be trusted.

How much time is being wasted handling support calls/emails over this? I'd imagine their support staff is as frustrated, if not more-so, than users.

I'm being patient, but I did buy the phone with the sales pitch that 2.2 was coming and it would have all the bells and whistles. Would be nice to know when I'd get them. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
g0dhand

And I agree with your reply as well.

Sitting idly on the events at hand are probably not the best action (or lack thereof).  And I also agree that it would save a lot of time replying to the assumptions regarding an OTA Update of FroYo to the Incredible.

And while Verizon did announce that the update was not available to customers on the same day that the rumors said it would be released, doing so on a Twitter account alone was probably not the best plan of action.

Regarding Verizon's reaction towards the third-party media:  While it might be in the Corporation's best interests to denounce the credibility of the FroYo update to the Incredible, it may not necessarily be in their best interest to discredit the third-party media altogether.

While this rumor alone is false, most people do, in turn, get information that IS true from third-party media as well.  Some that might have been guessed and ended up being confirmed by Verizon, some that Verizon may or may not have given to these sites so that they may redistribute by their own means to users.

By discrediting any third-party medium outright, that may lead said media to respond by bad-mouthing the Corporation as a whole or in other areas.

In laymen's terms, a "corporate catfight".  Corporate, "He said, she said."  For a corporation as large as Verizon, would it even be in their best interest to waste the time and money dealing with some third-party tech-media sites that, while they may be popular among "techies", aren't the biggest source of information on the internet?

0 Likes
Jdyount

I agree with you that the rumor dates are **bleep**.  Verizon has said nothing about a date for the release of 2.2 so people should not be posting "I heard this date from this person who works for this part of Verizon" rumors.  What I don't agree with is your comment:  "Anyone complaining and making claims to Verizon that they're poorly representing the Droid Incredible customer base are claims of ignorance."  They are absolutely providing poor service and this is why:  

It is a fact that there is a 2.2 update for the Incredible. Google released Android 2.2, and HTC has already added Sense to that, for the Incredible, and released that to Verizon (call HTC and they will confirm this as a fact).  My problem comes to how Verizon is handling it in two major ways.  First, keeping your customers in the dark is providing poor service.  I agree wanting to make the update work perfectly before release is the right thing to do.  Just tell us thats what is happening.  Give us a tentative release date.  If it takes longer, push that date back (with a few days notice).  This would solve all of the rumor issues.  Leaving customer guessing, which makes them put hope in these **bleep** rumors, does nothing but frustrate them.  Second, make sure the customer service reps are telling customers the same thing.  I've called tech support three times, and got three different answers.  They don't have a clue.  Give them a united message.  This is easily solved by posting a tentative date.

It comes down to this:  Someone in Verizon knows something.  Keeping customers in the dark only adds fuel to these rumors.  Its human nature to put hope on something that customers are excited about and want.  You can't blame people for being frustrated at Verizon for not releasing the update.  

It's this simple:  There wouldn't be rumors in the first place if you would put up some information........

0 Likes
BigWhiskey

Hell no I can't be happy with what I have!  It's bad business to sell  a new devise to someone and claim that it is the latest and greatest and then two weeks later update the older devices with new software and leave the people that just bought into your crap out in the cold.  Even Apple updates the newer devices first and the old stuff later.  It's a bad way to treat new customers.

0 Likes
Jdyount

I guess you can't say the word that means not smart on this forum.........  I didn't put a bleepable work in my last post......

0 Likes
g0dhand

Jdyount,

I agree with the majority of your post in the first and second paragraphs that you wrote, except for your point where Verizon should consider giving a date of any kind, tentative or not.  If Verizon doesn't know a date, then no; They shouldn't give a date.

This is because I can see the scenario regarding the update of the Android OS from two perspectives: That of the customer (user) and that of the developer behind the scenes, as I am a software developer by profession.  If their IT doesn't know when the update will be available for whatever factors or reasons, they shouldn't give a date.  Not when they weren't required to give a date in the first place.

The bottom line is that as a software/IT developer you're required, in general, to do two things:  1, Set an expectation; Two, meet that expectation.

If you do #1, #2 HAS TO HAPPEN more or less in very tight range of that time frame.  No later than a day or two at the MOST.  Even a tentative date such as "Spring, summer, fall winter of 20XX" might keep people satisfied for awhile.  But once the first day of the season rolls around, the complains are in. "It's fall/summer/winter/spring now.  Where's my update?"

Verizon can't commit to something they're unsure of.  Not in the sales market.  Not with a customer base.  Basically you're saying that because HTC rolled out FroYo with Sense, that Verizon HAS TO ACT now and provide their customers with a response to HTC's software release.

No, they don't.  We know nothing about Verizon's vendor-relationship with HTC other than the fact that Verizon does sell their phones to go along with their service plans.  HTC provides compliant hardware.  Using Google and HTC software, HTC provides software on the phone that is compliant with both HTC and Verizon's standards (regardless of whether the platform is open source or not).  No one here knows anything about software licensing agreements between HTC and Verizon, do they?  If so, speak up now.  And thus my point below:

With the commotion that this and third-party media has caused, any response they make that they can't confirm, tentative or not shares the possibiltiy of wiping out this area of their customer base.  You see how most of the nonsensical users that post in here act.  It's easy for a customer to throw their hands up and pay a three-hundred dollar termination fee and go to another provider.

"It comes down to this:  Someone in Verizon knows something.  Keeping customers in the dark only adds fuel to these rumors.  Its human nature to put hope on something that customers are excited about and want.  You can't blame people for being frustrated at Verizon for not releasing the update.  

It's this simple:  There wouldn't be rumors in the first place if you would put up some information........"

^^^ But, if Verizon releases a date that they realize at zero-day they can't provide, that's when it is their fault.  As far as I'm concerned, Verizon would be doing me an ultimate disservice by telling me they're going to have an update by MM/DD/YYYY and it doesn't roll out, rather than not confirming/denying information that, from a technical standpoint, isn't truly their responsibility to act upon until they're ready to.  Just because the Moto line of phones has it, that has nothing to do with HTC.  Completely different beast.

0 Likes
Jdyount

I do see what you're saying about setting an expectation and the possibility of not meeting it., but saying nothing is not a great solution.  

This is what I would like to see Verizon say:

1.  There is going to be an official update for Droid Incredible.

2.  We are working on it testing for bugs (or whatever they need to do for a finished product).

3.  We will be releasing it after the updates for the Moto Droid finish (or whatever else they are waiting on for the push out).

4.  We expect for this update to push out the (whatever week) of (whatever month).  We will try our best to meet that goal.  We will update (this website) with information about this update and its progress daily and if there are any delays on the release.

This is simple, very doable, and would make a lot of people happy.  There are going to be people upset either way.  But I think this would be the best all around solution.  A lot better than saying nothing.....

0 Likes