Notifications Aren't Making Sound
nmcnmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got a Droid Mini and the notification sounds stopped working for email and text messages.  I checked that in both apps the notifications were turned on, that in the phone settings the apps were selected for "active notifications", that the notification sound is a sound and that the volume is turned up.  Does anyone have an idea of why there is no notification sound?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Notifications Aren't Making Sound
nmcnmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Discovered that there was a text message that wasn't able to send - it just said "sending" (the recipient did receive it though). Shutting down the phone and restarting resolved the issue!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmcnmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Discovered that there was a text message that wasn't able to send - it just said "sending" (the recipient did receive it though). Shutting down the phone and restarting resolved the issue!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and happy Thursday nmcnmc,

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm glad to see that power cycling the device worked. It always put a smile on my face when an issue is resolved. While you certainly deserve all of the credit for the resolution, if you have any additional questions or concerns then like a pillow, we are here to support you.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lwglwg

I am also having this problem on a Droid Mini I bought last week.  All sounds (notifications, ringers, google now, etc.) stop working at seemingly random times.  The only way to resolve is to restart the phone but this happens multiple times per day. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi lwglwg,

Let's get to the bottom of these sounds issues! Notifications issues are commonly associated with 3rd party applications conflicts. Did these issues start after the installation of a certain application? Do you have a battery saving or anti-virus application installed? If so, please remove this type of applications, power off/on, and test. Also, run and test in Safe Mode (no 3rd party applications) http://vz.to/18AnD8F for a day to see if issues are resolved without 3rd party apps running. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
DeniseMax

I also have a Moto Mini.  I have had it for 2 weeks.  There are no sound notifications for missed calls or reminder tones for text messages not read.  I have notifications turned on and the notification volume at maximum.  The settings have no option for choosing different sounds for missed calls or text messages.  There is no "reminder" sound setting in the settings menu as there has been on every other phone I have ever owned.  I do receive a visual notification of missed calls and unread texts.  I printed out the Motorola instruction manual and there is no mention of the notifications in the manual.  Is this normal insofar as the Moto Mini does not provide sound notifications of missed calls?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello to you DeniseMax!

I completely understand how important it is to receive a notification for missed calls and text messages. I appreciate you looking in to the settings for the notification volume.

It would be accurate that there isn't a tone for a missed call as the ringing of the phone call would be the indication. However, if someone were to leave a voicemail, there would be a notification tone. Additionally, there isn't a reminder sound for unread texts, but there should be a sound when you receive the text initially.

To clarify, are you receiving the initial sounds for the calls/text?

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DeniseMax

Follow up:  I booted the Moto Mini in safe mode as suggested in another post.  I verified safe mode as it was displayed on the screen.  I checked the notification settings.  No apps were checked.  Only the PHONE, MESSAGING, and VOICEMAIL were checked.  I then let the phone screen go dark.  I called the phone and it rang with the usual ringtone but I did not answer it.  For 15 minutes thereafter, no audible notification of a missed call was forthcoming.  I then sent a text message to the phone and it announced the incoming message with the usual ringtone for texts.  Again, no audible notification of a missed text.  I am beginning to think the Moto Mini / Android OS does not offer the audible notification feature.  Does anyone else that owns one of the Moto Minis receive audible notification of missed calls or messages?  It is disappointing as phones I owned 15 years ago had that feature.

0 Likes
DeniseMax

Thanks Melissa,

I posted a follow up message without having read your response.  I am disappointed that the designers did not see the value of a missed-call periodic audible notification.  As I said in the other posts, every phone I have ever owned had such an audible notification with the possible exception of the Motorola 8000 (some call it a brick phone).  Even the 8000 may have had it but I don't remember.  Without it, you are required to look periodically to see if you may have missed a call or text message while out of earshot of the handset ringer.  I guess it is true that, these days, many people are never out of earshot and, in fact, are rarely not looking directly at their phone! Smiley Happy

0 Likes