Not Really Receiving Text Messages the Ones I Do Receive Are Duplicated Multiple Times from Days Ago
Seanstex

Pretty much starting about a week ago I noticed I had received a text message. I replied. Moments later I got the same text message again and again and again.

A few people told me they had sent m e messages but I never receive them. When I do get a message, I reply but then, just like above, I keep getting the same message.

I can send messages and people receive them. For instance:

Last week, my Mother texted me "Make that phone call!". I replied.

I got the same message twice directly after texting her back. I'm still getting that same message days later. Occasionally a new one will come through from here but then just rinse/repeat. Extremely frustrating. All in all over the past week, I got that message probably 20 times.

I tried using just the default messenger aside from Handcent and Go SMS. Same issue

I cleared cache and data from all apps. Same issue.

I pulled the battery while still on then restarted the phone. This allowed about 5 messages previously not received to come through. I thought maybe this fixed the issue. It didn't... within minutes I got 6 messages from 2 people that were duplicates.

I pulled the battery with the phone off and waited 5 minutes. Same issue.

I removed any apps that require sms permissions of any kind. Same issue.

I have NOT factory reset yet as I'd like to refrain from that if possible.

Can a Verizon employee check this out for me, please?

If any users have had this same issue and got it resolved, What steps did you take if not listed above?

0 Likes
Re: Not Really Receiving Text Messages the Ones I Do Receive Are Duplicated Multiple Times from Days Ago
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the DROID X, have you reprogrammed the phone to the network?  Dial *228, option 1 and follow the prompts.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Not Really Receiving Text Messages the Ones I Do Receive Are Duplicated Multiple Times from Days Ago
Jeremy1129
Contributor - Level 2

Similair issue happened to a buddy of mine, and it was esculated to a Trouble Ticket and came down as a software issue. They advised a master reset or re-flashing the device, but he just ended up getting a new device

0 Likes
Seanstex

I tried this too, dialing *228 sends me to phone activation? After dialing it sits at the activation screen for a minute then says failed to activate? No idea what the deal is with that.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't know. You might want to factory reset the phone or try to trouble shoot it with tech support and see if there is a problem on the Verizon Wireless server side.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Seanstex

Well I figured out the *228 thing. It updated my roaming network. Same issues though :/. I'll wait to see if Verizon replies to this.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Option 2 under *228 is for the roaming network (PRL). Option 1 is to reprogram the phone to the Verizon Wireless network.

It might be a while before a VZW rep could respond if they respond.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get those messages set straight Seantex! Have you tried deleting your message threads and started new ones? Does this happen with all of your contacts? Do you have any difficulties calling these numbers? I also recommend testing the device in safe mode to rule out the possibility of app conflict, even if the apps don't specifically reference affecting sms. http://tiny.cc/kmkiyw

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
RobertTankersley
Enthusiast - Level 1

Apparently there are many issues with text messaging. I have 5 phones and the issue occurs on all of them. There are several different scenarios.

1. Messages that do not ever get delivered.

2. Messages that appear out of order.

3. Messages repeated 2-10 times.

I recently tried the Verizon Messaging service that coordinates messages on web, tablets, and phones. All of the issues listed above still occur. In addition:

1. Some messages appear in one app but not the other.

2. Some messages appear on the tablet but not the phone.

3. Some messages appear on the phone but not the web.

In short I have to look at all three in order to find the messages. Some do not appear on either the phone, web, or tablet.

Text Messaging is becoming a laughable application.

Robert

>>Personal information removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator