Re: No battery life after system upgrade
dazzie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all who sent helpful suggestions. I do appreciate it. Here's how I fixed the problem:

As suggested, I downloaded the System Panel app. It showed that the CPU was running at a constant rate but could not identify the exact problem. It boiled down to a category: communications. The battery was about 106 F -- pretty hot to the touch and constatntly draining. This app has a history setting, so you can look at usage over time -- it showed constant activity, even at night. This is a handy app; and the FAQ pages in the app are great -- they explain a lot of technical stuff in plain language.

In one last effort before doing a reset, I deleted all my email accounts including my corporate exchange account. As soon as I did that, everthing settled down immediately. Like instantly! I reinstalled each, one by one, and nothing bad happened. It has been just fine ever since. Somehow the corporate email account was "stuck" in constant polling, consequently draining the battery. As soon as I took it out and re-installed, it behaved as it should.

I would guess that the upgrade causes some apps to run poorly, as some of you suggested. When the app is one of your communications apps, the result can be doom for the battery. I think that trying *228 is a good step but it did not solve my problem.

I hope this helps others who experience the same thing. My battery is back to its old self now.

0 Likes
bwsullivan17

Same experience as tfd.  And I agree, Verizon has to do a better job of trouble shooting these or at a minimum send out a notice of the necessary fixes so we all don't waste so much time chasing these problems.

Antonio - hopefully your fix works.  Thank you for contributing.  

Regarding the one suggestion, I did the *228 update on THUR after doing the software update on WED and it did nothing to help the issue of battery life.  My battery went from 100% to dead overnight despite being in Nightsaver mode, and this was with a new battery (as of July).  The battery was working fine until the software/system update, now the phone is almost useless.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello bwsullivan17,

I know battery life is very important.  I wanted to follow up with you to inquire if you are still experiencing this opportunity with your battery?  If so, have you attempted the suggestions provided by Antonio?  Please let me know if you need additional assistance and your results of the suggested troubleshooting steps posted earlier in the forum.  Thank you.  

0 Likes