Newbie - can't play wav files
denisew
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got my Charge and we also have Verizon FiOS at home.  We get voice mail sent to email with an attached WAV file.  Can't get my Charge to play the WAV file.  Music Player says invalid file type.  Anyone else get them to play?  What should I use?

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Newbie - can't play wav files
denisew
Enthusiast - Level 2

After quite a bit of digging, I found the problem is Verizon (and other voice mail systems) uses a very old WAV format.  Many players don't decode this old format.  I don't know why they are stuck on these old formats but that is the root cause.

I have 2 solutions.  There is a VzW application, FiOS Digital Voice that will check voice mail and play the messages.  It works ok but the sound quality was only mediocre.  The second solution is the Remote Wave application.

If you just want to listen to the voice mail, Remote Wave had better sound quality.

If you want to delete or otherwise handle the voice mail, the FiOS app is what you need.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks for your inquiry! In general .wav files should play on Android, but I have seen different types of wav files not playing. You can do a search for wav files in the Market. While we can't always recommend particular 3rd party apps, I have seen two other customers have this issue and Remote Wave worked for them. I would suggest reading the description and reviews to see if this would work for you and searching for similar products. Keep in mind we do not fully support 3rd party applications, so any questions about the product should be directed to the developer. 

Thank you, 

0 Likes
denisew
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I understand there may be odd types that can't play.  However, as I mentioned, this is a WAV file created by my Verizon FiOS home voicemail.  It is sent as an email to my Verizon email acct, where I try to listen to it on my Charge.  I'm trying to determine whether there is a problem with the WAV files being created by FiOS or whether my Charge phone has a problem.  Any thoughts?

Thanks, Denise

0 Likes
Arius1

Try downloading Google Music from the Market.  I have to use that in order to listen to my work voicemail attachments.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have not seen any known issues with either .wav files from FIOS or with the Charge reading .wav files specifically. I have seen this issue on different model Droids, all with different email accounts. In my experience, other .wav files will work, just not the ones from voicemail.

0 Likes
denisew
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it seems to just be FiOS voice mails that are a problem.  I tried the Google Music app, suggested by another user and it is also failing.  So frustrating, this works just fine on my husband's Blackberry!

0 Likes
Not applicable

I can definitely understand why this would be frustrating! Are you able to listen to any other types of .wav files on your phone? I would suggest trying a different .wav file, if you have one on your computer or look online. From what I've seen, voicemail systems that forward messages to your phone use a different type of .wav file that Android phones don't always recognize. Again, you can try that application Remote Wave that was suggested previously. For the Android Market, if an application is not working for you, you can receive a credit back within 15 minutes of downloading the application. You can also search for other applications that are similar. 

0 Likes
denisew
Enthusiast - Level 2

After quite a bit of digging, I found the problem is Verizon (and other voice mail systems) uses a very old WAV format.  Many players don't decode this old format.  I don't know why they are stuck on these old formats but that is the root cause.

I have 2 solutions.  There is a VzW application, FiOS Digital Voice that will check voice mail and play the messages.  It works ok but the sound quality was only mediocre.  The second solution is the Remote Wave application.

If you just want to listen to the voice mail, Remote Wave had better sound quality.

If you want to delete or otherwise handle the voice mail, the FiOS app is what you need.

0 Likes