Re: New Droid Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System is Huge Leap Backwards
tkf
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree - I certainly had heard about ICS but had no clue that is would just "appear" on my phone one day with no prior notice or helpful list of changes (perhaps just me, but I hung up on several callers that first day until I learned how to answer the phone and do other tasks with ICS "swipes").  I certainly don't have the time to spend in chat rooms and blogs - until I start having problems and need help!  I'm not a "techie" and don't even pretend to know all the things my phone can do but I could manage it.  Then came the auto update to ICS last month (mine happened just before turkey day travel).  What a headache.  I took the time to go through many of the videos etc from Motorola and thus I've figured much out, and "redone", many of the settings that got "reset", but continue to be frustrated when I find things / settings that apparently got "reset" with the update.  (Example - Had to fix a couple of my email accts before they would work again, and just yesterday, after many "lost emails", I discovered that the setting on my cox email acct to "never delete from server" if deleted from phone had been "reset" to 'delete' thanks to the update and thus emails that I expected to find on my desktop where I could deal with them, were vanishing.  Not a good thing at all.  I've now gone thru the "trash" on my phone and had to forward the needed emails one-by-one to myself.  Ugh!)

Would have been nice if there was some warning or list of changes (and what would be reset) provided prior to (or at least along with) the upgrade.

One thing I have noticed is that the battery doesn't seem to be lasting as long since the update.  Used to easily get through an entire day, putting on the phone on the charger overnight while sleeping.  Now it seems to run low by late afternoon/evening most days and I have to charge.  What's up with that?  Any suggestions?  Does ICS keep apps running that used to shut down? 

Can't hardly wait to see what may happen with the next system upgrade...

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, ICS was more a 'major overhaul' of the OS than an update.  Your battery may be suffering since the update if your Bionic is always looking for a 4G signal.  You can't turn 4G off like you could in GB; if it becomes an issue, you may want to download/install 'LTE On/OFF' from the Play Store.  You also may have been using battery saving options before; those are now gone, at least as far as the way the settings were found/done.  Now you have to use Smart Actions or tweak things manually.  If you haven't already, you may want to search this forum for various threads about issues/remedies for the Bionic since the ICS update; there's several threads posted.

0 Likes
tkf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info about 4G being always on - I bet that is a big part of the problem since according to the top "banner" on my phone, there is generally only 3G available (with few bars either way) at my house, and limited 4G at other locations where my phone and I are much of the day!  Will see about that LTE on/off tool...  I already set up Smart Actions for a few things that "it" suggested, but need to look into it further.  As for searching this forum, I continue to have mixed results with my search attempts so if there are helpful threads that you could guide me (and others) to, it would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you haven't already found it, here's a link to the updated user manual:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/893011#893011

0 Likes
bjoyous

I used to love my Bionic, after the 'upgrade', I hate it. I am going to read through the previous posts to see if there are any useful suggestions to find the love again... Smiley Sad

0 Likes
tkf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi.  I found the videos on this site helpful to alleviate some of my frustrations over the upgrade - see the bottom under "Overview of Changes".  http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich/119251,en_US,pd.html

Many of the videos give comparison between how it was and how it is now...  Good luck! 

I'm learning to like my Bionic again but do be warned, some of the custom settings you may have set up "before" are now gone (reverted to "default") and need to be redone.  I've been gradually finding these and fix them.  Wish there was a list of these to look for and fix rather than discovering them after being frustrated with "why isn't it working right..." 

0 Likes
chiefski
Enthusiast - Level 1

You probably still love your Yugo too, Troll!

0 Likes