Re: New Droid Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System is Huge Leap Backwards
TechTrail

Thanks for all the replies and helpful suggestions.Although why should one have to study an instruction manual to operate a phone? It should be intuitive beyond understanding the basic functions like clicking and dragging.

At any rate no amount of reading is going to make the address book search stop being a global search.

How would clearing the cache fix problems with the design of the operating system?

While I can understand that many of the folks on this forum are early adopters who seek out change in technology, I think the majority of the billions of people using cell phones just want them to work seamlessly and easily. They certainly do not want to relearn how to operate them.

Some comments were made appreciating bug fixes that came along with the new operating system. Most likely those bug fixes could have been done without changing the operating system.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I consider myself fairly intuitive when it comes to operating electronics, I guess I'm one of those odd-ones who always reads the user guide anyway.    And as I've said in several posts, even though I knew ICS was coming to my phone, there were stll things I didn't like about it and still don't like about it.  Unfortunately, that's part of what happens in an OS upgrade.  There were several bug fixes that have occurred along the way with the Bionic, but issues still persisted for some phones, unfortunately.  Yep, this OS upgrade is like having a different phone in a way ... some things work differently, some things went away, some things are new.  It's good for some and bad for others.  And it is definitely a learning curve.

0 Likes
Dkim1

I don't mean to be rude but are you foreal......i am a husband and father and have a demanding job and don't have time to read blogs or forums.....and most people don't have the time..... that's why we buy smartphones is to try to save time for more important things....notification would have been nice...a email, text, something......the only reason im in this forum now is because im pissed off, and hurricane Sandy.....

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, I'm for real and apparently you mis-read my post, or else you've confused mine with someone else's.  I basically said what you just said, just in different words.  Here's what I said:

I think the average cell phone user does not know about, nor care about, OS updates.  Most do not follow blogs/forums ... I know several folks who have no earthly idea what ICS means or that their phone was getting it.  And not everyone is happy with change, as can be readily seen in some of the posts on this forum.  Some of the issues/concerns/problems could have been alleviated had folks known the update was coming and could have prepared accordingly.  For those who follow these things and anxiously awaited the update, it's not that big of a deal, but for folks who weren't aware of how big the update was and what it involved, the past few days have been frustrating to an extent, I'm sure.  Just my humble opinion.

lovie2000
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I am very tech savvy and I didn't know anything about an update until it was downloading and installing on my phone.

I hate it.... after the installation.... my settings were reset. and now I can't access or find "CALL SETTINGs" and it is pissing me off....... I had non-contact calls set on restricted... this update removed it.... and now I don't have or can't find "CALL SETTINGS" to set it back....  I have been searching for 2 days now..... and it is not on my phone anymore....

So what now VERIZON.... why are features being removed?

0 Likes
vharpsftbl20
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am with you lovie. I had a handle on my Droid Bionic and loved it. Now I am ready to burn it up.

Tidbits
Legend

Open up your dialer and hit the menu button. There is your call settings.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon has nothing to do with any of the changes. Google implemented a lot of the changes with ICS.

0 Likes
lovie2000
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like I said I am tech savvy..... and I tried that day 1 and "call restriction" settings are no longer on the phone..... that is what I meant not call settings...... sorry about that......

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

lovie2000 wrote:

Like I said I am tech savvy..... and I tried that day 1 and "call restriction" settings are no longer on the phone..... that is what I meant not call settings...... sorry about that......

That sounds like that's on Motorola for that one.  That was their implementation and if you notice it was removed across the board on all their devices that got 4.0 update.  Should try and contact them and double check.  I haven't been to Motorola forums in a while so I am a bit out of the loop.  It was part of "Motoblur" and Motorola has been stripping it down trying to go more towards stock which doesn't have that feature.

0 Likes