New Droid Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System is Huge Leap Backwards
TechTrail

I loved my Droid Bionic up until two days ago when the phone prompted me to press OK to perform an update. I reasonably assumed this would be a background bug fix, but much to my dismay my phone now has a new operating system which has lots of problems such as:

• More than doubles screen touches needed to access phone and other apps
  • Doubles screen touches to answer phone
  • Back button on phone dialer screen is smaller and no longer works well
  • Name of party is no longer listed when in conversation
  • Big blank face appears on phone screen
  • Phone search function does not start with letters entered. Instead it shows entries starting with letter A-Z that also contain the letters entered
  • Screen is now too dark to read in sunshine
  • Cannot adjust ring volume from first screen
  • Turning Settings On & Off no longer works very well
  • Time display is smaller & greys out after initial screen touch
  • No way to customize initial screen for apps most used
  • Speech recognition does not work very well anymore

Motorola says there is no way to go back to the old operating system once you have updated.

I think Motorola updates should include a WARNING about interface changes or updates. Any new operating system should allow user to switch between old style & new style interface just like Windows

They should only send out updates for background bugs and fixes. They could offer a notification about optional operating system updates with full description of what will be changed.

0 Likes
Re: New Droid Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System is Huge Leap Backwards
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

Actually, everyone else KNEW about this update to Ice Cream Sandwich, what it was, and have been anticipating it for months.

You're probably the only one who didn't.

And almost everyone is overjoyed about how much better it is than Gingerbread -- I sure am! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
mark38090
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two of these hpones and I didn't know about it. I HATE it!!!

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I disagree.  I think the average cell phone user does not know about, nor care about, OS updates.  Most do not follow blogs/forums ... I know several folks who have no earthly idea what ICS means or that their phone was getting it.  And not everyone is happy with change, as can be readily seen in some of the posts on this forum.  Some of the issues/concerns/problems could have been alleviated had folks known the update was coming and could have prepared accordingly.  For those who follow these things and anxiously awaited the update, it's not that big of a deal, but for folks who weren't aware of how big the update was and what it involved, the past few days have been frustrating to an extent, I'm sure.  Just my humble opinion.

TechTrail

Cannot understand how having a global search instead of a address book name search when looking up phone contacts is an improvement. Requires scrolling through pages of unnecessary hits

Or how doubling screen touches to perform tasks is an improvement.

Or how having a screen that is now hard to read in sunlight is better

Seems likely there are many more folks like me who do not appreciate these changes. Actually when I called tech support they told me they had already received lots of complaints on the day of release. Glad someone likes it, but I sincerely hope they quickly fix all the bugs they created

0 Likes
Not applicable

The upgrade to ICS is better than Gingerbread. And most people feel the same way. I have yet to encounter these "issues" the OP brings up. If indeed these issues are real I am sure there is a solution but the OP rather rank than to find a solution.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I had my first experience with ICS on my sons Maxx. I tried it for a few days and LOVED it.  I was so jealous that his phone had it and my Bionic was stuck on GB. When I finally got ICS, I was almost doing backflips. Sop far to date my Bionic with ICS has worked Flawlessly. All of the issues I had with GB are gone. No Data drops at all. If I had to do it all over again right now, I would hit the install button without hesitation.

ICS can do so much more then GB ever could and I disagree with the comments about double the clicking to answer calls etc... There are just as many clicks in the use of ICS as there were in GB. Besides being able to Disable Bloatware (a huge plus for any phone) the processor got a 20% boost in clock speed. Better Multi Tasking, easier navigation and the apps seem to work better on ICS.

jaymadd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jakeman1 wrote:

I had my first experience with ICS on my sons Maxx. I tried it for a few days and LOVED it.  I was so jealous that his phone had it and my Bionic was stuck on GB. When I finally got ICS, I was almost doing backflips. Sop far to date my Bionic with ICS has worked Flawlessly. All of the issues I had with GB are gone. No Data drops at all. If I had to do it all over again right now, I would hit the install button without hesitation.

ICS can do so much more then GB ever could and I disagree with the comments about double the clicking to answer calls etc... There are just as many clicks in the use of ICS as there were in GB. Besides being able to Disable Bloatware (a huge plus for any phone) the processor got a 20% boost in clock speed. Better Multi Tasking, easier navigation and the apps seem to work better on ICS.

I have to agree Smiley Happy

0 Likes
dcymbala001

I agree with tikibar1.  There is no reasonable assumption that an average user knows about an upgrade.  Additionally, even if there was an announcement directly to the user -- there wasn't -- there was no way to know that this anonymous update screen was for a basic operating system update. 

AND IT DOESN'T WORK ON MY BIONIC. THIS IS NOT EXCUSABLE!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have to admit that after reading about all the changes that were being made with ICS and all the issues that people were reporting when updating other phones, I was hesitant about installing it since I seemed to be the only person on the planet who didn't have issues with their Bionic.    I have to say that yes, there are a few things that I'm not happy about (for example, not having a wifi widget), but I have been pleasantly surprised ... I like it a lot more than I thought I would.  The biggest issue so far is the learning curve ... lots of things got moved/renamed/removed and it took a while to find a few things.  But right now I'm a happy camper.

0 Likes