New Droid - Battery is very, very dead...
Nokosa

So, I got my new Droid on Saturday. Everything was great, love the phone. On Sunday, after letting it charge all day, I used it quite a bit. I let my sister in-law play around on it (she's very cellphone enthusiastic) and just fiddled with it a bunch. I was working on getting my bluetooth headset up and running again (had it running on Saturday, no problem. Not sure why it wouldn't work on Sunday), and the battery ended up dying. No problem. Popped it on the charger for a bit, tried to turn it on, wouldn't come on. Okay... I figured it just didn't have enough power to turn on. About an hour and a half went by, I tried to turn it on again. Still nothing. Getting worried at this point, I let it set for another good hour or so. I flopped into bed, thinking I'll just get it tomorrow, and I heard it start up. That's a bit weird, I thought to myself. I went into the room where the phone was charging, picked it up, unlocked it, and it read "Place Phone on Charger." That's odd... it's already on the charger. What the heck is going on?

After I unplugged and replugged the charger back into the phone, it powered off. Again, wouldn't power back on. It has now been on the charger for roughly six hours and it still won't power on.

So, to recap - after a day and a half my battery completely died on me. I now have to go to Verizon and hope they have batteries for this phone. Not sure why this happened. I hope this is just a once in a blue moon sort of deal, as I'm not looking forward to these kinds of problems in the future.

0 Likes
Re: New Droid - Battery is very, very dead...
phoenixdroid

This is not normal for the Droid. It does sound very familiar tho-similar issues happened with my EnV2. But it wasn't the battery that was the problem. Verizon diagnosed that the charging port was totally hosed. I would definitely take the phone back to your Verizon store and have them take a look at it. Post back and let us know what Verizon determines is the problem. Good luck!

0 Likes
pecula00

Either on the Motorola forum or this one, I forget at this point someone had a problem and it ended up being the charger, not the phone or the battery.

0 Likes
deanerk

I've had devices with bad chargers/adapters or cables before.  Do you have another way to charge?  Sorry, not exactly sure what comes with or is offered in the way of charging as I won't have my Droid until this afternoon... 

Please don't take offense, but I only bring this up because I've seen it happen before in my years of IT support...  Have you tried another electrical outlet or verified that the outlet you were using is not on a switch?  I've listened to people curse their "dead" laptops up and down, only to find out that they were trying to charge them on an outlet that was on a switch in the room.

0 Likes
rjones

Try using the USB cable to the computer. If it charges there the wall adapter is fried. If not, you've got other problems, possibly bad battery or charging circuit.

0 Likes
Lightninrod
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe not the real problem but did you leave Bluetooth and/or WIFI on the whole time?  Either will eat up a battery quickly.

0 Likes
madmax25

This is a relief for me.  My droid came in the mail yesterday and I played with it all day yesterday and never let it charge up fully.  I put it on the charger overnight and when I woke up it wouldn't respond, etc. - so my first inclination was that the device or battery were electronically dead.  Turns out the charger just wasn't plugged in good - to my relief.  Recharging it today.  If I have an actual issue I'll follow up.

- Max

0 Likes
DelDotB

There is a white charging/plug indicator light right by the microUSB port.  It is partially hidden by the connector, but check it out. 

0 Likes
rjones

I'm on my second day after charging the DROID and still have half a battery of power. I turned the phone off in the night for about 7 hours. I was having problems until I discovered that the magnetic case turned the phone on and I was walking around with the display on all day. The display will use at least 50 percent of the battery due to it's high quality and brightness. Set on auto or even better, lower brightness to save juice.

0 Likes
Mustangman

Okay............I'm suppose to get my new Moto Droid on Tues.  When it come new in the box, does it come charged......if not, how long am I suppose to charge it to be safe???  Thanks for any help!!!

0 Likes