Network Time Not Synchronized with Atomic Clock
Ferdie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been observing my Motorola Droid since purchasing/activating it in 02/2010 that despite trying to synchronize the time thru "Settings," then going thru "Date & Time," then unchecking/checking "Automatic" that your network time is advanced by about 20 to 25 seconds as compared to several Atomic Clocks that I have at home.  Even comparing it to my computer time (which has atomic clock installed), it is really off (advance) by about 20 to 25 seconds. No wonder why they made the phone having no second(s) display?  I don't know about other brand of phone with "second(s)" displaying time if anybody have been noticing it.  With this electronic-age, any equipment(s) should be accurate at it's best!   Any work-around/suggestions to rectify this problem?  It seems like nobody noticing the problem as I've been trying to find out from different forums, but no such posted problems whatsoever.

Ferdinand

Re: Network Time Not Synchronized with Atomic Clock
Lee-Lee
Contributor - Level 3

Unfortunately, at this time there are no work around or suggestions for this issue. HTH!

0 Likes
richa60
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, it is a year and a half after the original question was posted.  I just talked to a customer service rep who talked to tech support.  They had me reboot the phone.  It is still wrong and they said there wasn't anything they could do.

I agree with the orignal poster that in this electronic age a very high degree of accuracy should be expected.  Not only by the subscribers, but by Verizon itself.  How can Verizon find it to be acceptable to knowingly synchronize millions of devices to a time that is so very far wrong?  And further, to leave it unaddressed for so long?   20 seconds is a lifetime in todays' electronics.

I guess Lee-Lee was right that there were no work arounds but I don't know how (s)he could HTH.

Spiral
Master - Level 1

I just checked the time on my iPhone compared to the atomic clock I have and my phone is accurate to the second.  Maybe the network time is different in your area (I am in Minneapolis) or maybe it is a android software problem.

0 Likes
richa60
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know...  I guess I can't rule anything out but after all this time it would seem like Verizon would be able to provide some kind of solution or even just an explanation other than, "There's nothing we can do."

It has been wrong and bothered me for over a year now.  I have asked store reps and they said it "should" be correct (not that they're necessarily experts at that level). 

I'm being difficult about it now because we're about to change into daylight savings time and I would like to have a precise time on my phone to set all my clocks to.  Today's call to Verizon was in the hopes that they could give me a way to synchronize on demand (rather than at whatever period happens automatically) so that even if there was some drift on my phone, it would be infinitesimal over the few seconds between the sync and my comparison against a reliable source.

Maybe Minneapolis is served by a server whose time is kept more accurate than whatever serves St. Louis.  Lacking any better resolution it was my thought that their time server was not kept current and they should make it so.

Oh well, it is what it is.