NEW UPDATE FOR -------
scottshad

Today I read on MSN that Verizon was putting a large update out for the Droid 2 phones that will help with battery use and all sorts of other much needed options!

EXCUSE ME but what happen to the first Droid? Why are we left out of the loop? I am sure there is as many 1st droid phones out there as Droid 2.

You would think or at least this is how I would go about it: I would give all the first phone the latest fixes and downloads so that these customer will WANT to come back and buy the next generation phones when their contract is up.

But then again I am not Verizon.......

0 Likes
Re: NEW UPDATE FOR -------
OldPilot
Contributor - Level 1

Unfortunately, Verizon does what every other corporate entity does: entice the customer into purchasing the "latest, greatest" thing ever to come down the pike. They know that the average consumer ( the coveted 18-34 year old ) has the attention span of a gnat; that these Buy it NOW types will line up to be the 1st on the block to pay almost any price to show off their "cutting edge" phones. Meanwhile, the long-term steady customer is placated by a sudden sale price on soon-to-be-discontinued merchandise and what small customer support that does exist is directed to the buyers of the newest products -- where the most profit lies. In this regard, Verizon's no different than the other carriers and just wait until the vaunted you-know-what phone comes out next year. We long-time, "mature" customers will be shunted aside like leftover meatloaf.

0 Likes
bmurr22

OldPilot wrote:

Unfortunately, Verizon does what every other corporate entity does: entice the customer into purchasing the "latest, greatest" thing ever to come down the pike. They know that the average consumer ( the coveted 18-34 year old ) has the attention span of a gnat; that these Buy it NOW types will line up to be the 1st on the block to pay almost any price to show off their "cutting edge" phones. Meanwhile, the long-term steady customer is placated by a sudden sale price on soon-to-be-discontinued merchandise and what small customer support that does exist is directed to the buyers of the newest products -- where the most profit lies. In this regard, Verizon's no different than the other carriers and just wait until the vaunted you-know-what phone comes out next year. We long-time, "mature" customers will be shunted aside like leftover meatloaf.

That is truly a shame that this happens.  The people who supported Motorola and the Droid can't even expect to have their phones work at 100% for 2 years straight?  This is just another reason why it would be good to get Apple on the VZ network.  They need a manufacturer to push back and make updates to their devices that don't have anything to do with the network (eg: AES Wifi).  It's really a shame and really makes me reconsider Motorola and even Android to an extent.

0 Likes
x2f0181

Wow... I'm a bit blown away.  Have any of you looked at what the update offers?  Its an update for items and/or bugs that require attention for the Droid 2. The D1 and D2 are similar but have their differences.  Remember, the D2 runs a BLUR shell over the Android OS, the D1 does not.  So don't get bent out of shape because they're putting out an update to fix or improve aspects of a specific phone because where in the announcement did it ever mention that they will never update the D1 again.  Also, if you have issues with your D1 that you feel need addressed, then call them and tell them.  They'll either replace your phone (if the issue is serious enough) or make note of it for a future update. Complaining about this is like complaining about the X getting an update but not the D2. They have similar but different system specs that need to be tailored to. Chill pills people.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Exactly. Not only that, but there is nothing wrong with the current Motorola Droid 1. Mine has worked perfectly since I bought it almost a year ago.
0 Likes
ziptie

jimfitzgerald

Does your Active Sync work on you Droid 1 so you can access your company e-mail without having to use a 3rd party app?  If your answer is that you do not use your phone for this, then your phone may work perfect for YOU.  For those of us waiting for the past 2 months for Verizon to resolve the active sync issue, our phones do not work.  My Droid 1 worked perfect since last November until Verizon sent out an update in September that does not allow it to sync to my company e-mail.  If you look through the message board, you will see many other are having the same issue.  It’s irritating that Verizon would send out an update for the Droid 2 that may or may not fix the problem and then leave those of us with Droid 1 issues out.

0 Likes
scottshad

To x210181, obviously you are new here, no one is getting bent out of shape here.

But you really need to read the posts from 6 or 8 months ago, not just last weeks posts

0 Likes