NEVER A PHONE PROBLEM, USER ERROR is most likely the issue.
eddiejt

I come in here and read threads about people having 3 - 5 phones replaced all the time. I think people are just hard with their equipment. I have had my DROID 1 since November 2009. I've gone through 3 OTA updates. I have rooted it, unrooted and gone back to stock, It's been on AT&T's and T-Mobiles networks while I had one hack applied. People, be nice to your equipment, and it will do the same in return. I can't find a single issue wrong with my phone. Yes updates are a drag because it takes so long to get them out. But you didn't buy the phone with these updates to begine with. If there was never an update, you would be just as happy with the original software that was installed on your phone when you purchased it.  Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. Have a wonderful holiday weekend here in the USA.

0 Likes
Re: NEVER A PHONE PROBLEM, USER ERROR is most likely the issue.
JerryHam

While I have been quite happy with my Droid (I got the first the day they became available in Nov 2009, then the second two days later because the first would reboot randomly - even while just sitting on my desk). Since getting that second one it has been great - by far the best phone I've ever had. Actually, calling it a phone is a misnomer - it is more like a tricorder with all the things it can do.

That said, there are people having real problems. Some folks have a heck of a time with the proximity sensor. I don't have that issue - but I am sure people aren't making it up. Perhaps they have a different usage pattern than I do. Who knows - but their problem is real. Other folks have problems with apps they have downloaded (which worked at first) causing problems with their camera or gallery after an update. The phone was working fine, then it "broke" when the update installed. It often takes a factory reset to fix (and don't install the app that did it if you can figure out which one it was).

So, although I am thrilled with my Droid I know that not everyone has had as smooth a ride. Its unfortunate, because the phone itself is quite amazing.

0 Likes
ontheroad
Contributor - Level 1

I am very glad that you have not had any problems with your Droid1.  I am on my 4th replacement.  I assure you that a broken slider on the 3rd replacement was not my fault, I received it that way - "certified like new replacement," yea right!

I think it is interesting that while researching many of the issues that I have encountered with 4 different phones, I find that they are very common among many users.  Solutions from Verizon are either "remove and replace the battery" or a" factory reset."  Another solution is "an app is causing the problem, you need to remove all your add on apps."  

I am not an Android expert and I don't want to become one.  I don't want to "root" my Droid!  I don't want to know everything that the phone can do.  I just want a phone that will do what it should and what I paid for.  I expect some occasional issues but daily is not acceptable. 

The phone that I have now has a problem with the slider that probably causes the phone to vibrate loudly - like when it shuts down!  While I am listening to voice mail messages it will place a call.  The auto-rotate screen works when it wants to. The touch screen takes as many as 3-4 tries before it will work.  The browser freezes. Of course, most of these issues do not happen all the time.  I do not want to spend time resetting, rebooting and reinstalling.  The few times I was able to get the phone into the Verizon store while it was acting up, resulted in "there is a problem and the only solution is a factory reset."

The fact that Verizon no longer sells the Droid1 says volumes about the phone.  I don't know which problems are caused by the OTA upgrades or the phone itself.  I really don't care.  It looks like the Droid2 or DroidX have corrected some of the issues.

Verizon refuses to offer a reasonable exchange for another phone - even another brand.  I have an LG Env3 that I never had any problems with and may go back to that. 

Again, I am happy for you and your Droid success but please don't blame us "users" for most of the problems that we have.  And I do need, and use, many of the features that the Droid offers.  That is why I bought the phone!  When they work, they are fantastic.  I have figured out and corrected a few problems that Verizon was unable to fix; that is sad. I am tired of having to work around all the problems with this phone.  And I don't really care that "all the other carriers" have the same replacement processes.  Verizon is showing a complete lack of respect for their customers.    

0 Likes
Johnerics

I agree with the author... operator error or abuse, or apps that hijack phone, extremely unlikely that four phones are all bad... I think a lot of it is that people think if they complain long enough they will get what they want.. I enjoy figuring things out for myself personally.. I can count on one hand in ten years of owning a cell phone how many issues I had to call in about..

{please keep your posts courteous}

Some people should just not own these phones...
Maybe microsoft had the right idea with the kin afterall... no options, closed platform what you see is what you get.. lol

Good luck with all you peoples 5000 replacement phones, if you guys had sprint as a provider they would have fired you by now. ; )

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
I don't agree with the author.

#1 no hack will allow you to use att and tmobile networks. The chipsets are not compatible...what a liar. And no not even data is compatible.

The hardware is mediocre at best. I am one that went through 5 phones... I am still happy with verizon because they dealt with it,

I am very good with equipment, and could pretty much build one of these phones on my own.

There are significant issues with this phone, and just because you have one that worked doesn't mean others haven't.

I do agree that some people can't work this phone, but a lot of people that cannot work the phone do not realize there is an issue with it either.

Microsoft was also wrong, thatt is why the Kin died, but the salespeople are wrong to sell a Droid to 65 year old grandmother (I saw this happen).

Motorola has issues with phones.. it goes a long ways back... it is not the OS.. it is the phone itself.

There are a lot less complaints on the Incredible and other HTC phone forums..

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I disagree with the OP as well.

People are not infalluable and we make these devices.  To say that NONE of them will have problems is a false statement.  Look at Toyota and they have been "known" for quality right?  It happens and it might happen to you, but it'll happen to someone else.  If all devices were working out of the box 100% of the times the software wouldn't need bug fixes, and there would not be such a thing as warranty.

0 Likes
eddiejt

cobjones, I beg to differ with you, you may be good with phones but a assure you, I have been on 2 different networks with this phone.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

There is pretty much 0% chance that you've had the Droid on AT&T or Tmobile.  A pure CDMA phone WILL NOT work on a GSM network without a new radio.  There is a small chance that it could be activated on Sprint if you know someone way up the ladder but again it's unlikely.

0 Likes
delco83

Interesting comment!!! So your saying that when an update gets pushed out and it Bricked my phone that is somehow, my fault.. Can you explain that one... I've been in IT for many years now, and while I agree that most of the PC issues are a problem between the keyboard and the chair, that cannot be the first assumption.. Because when it comes down to being an issue that is not the users fault,  you look ridiculous and users start to lose there confidence in your abilities.

I can see if you are throwing your phone around, or leaving it to bake in the sun for hour on end then 'Yes' that is an issue with the user.. However, to make such a broad statement is wrong... Issues with the sliders breaking could go either way, but the manufactures should be accounting for that type of use, so the fault would still lay at the manufactures feet... An update bricking the phone... Explain how a pushed out update that bricks my phone is my fault? Should I not update the software to plug security holes and add more functionality? If that is the case I guess that would be a user fault for wanting a secure device that holda passwords was other sensitive information in... If just one person keeps having the same issues then 'Yes' I agree, but when the same issues are happening to  variety of people with no connection other then having the same Phone/software/hardware it tends to be not a user problem.. To say 'NEVER A PHONE PROBLEM' that is like saying crimes are always the victims fault... Do youre due diligence next time you want to make a false statement like this and research why the same issues are happening to mulitple users with nothing in common...

Working in IT and supporting it, if you have that kind of attitude you better find yourself another profession or you may find yourself unemployeed a lot... That actually goes for most industries.. Blaming everyone else for issues does not solve the issues... It just pushing people to use other devices and services...

0 Likes
Re: Phone on two networks
delco83

What two networks are they on?? Verizon and cricket? verizon and alltel? Do I really need to point out that both use verizons network??? While sprint and AT&T have a completely different one??

0 Likes