My Location on Maps doesn't work!
darkhorse
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't know whether I'm the only one with this problem but displaying "My Location" on Maps doesn't work on my Droid X.

I go to Maps app and do "My Location" and I get the following message:

"Wating for location"

But after few seconds I get another message saying:

"Your current location is temporarily unavailable"

Is anyone seeing same error?

0 Likes
Re: My Location on Maps doesn't work!
budone
Legend

Do you have GPS turned on?

0 Likes
darkhorse
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep.  GPS is turned on.

The funny thing is "My Location" on Google Map works shortly after I use Navigation App.

But few hours later it doesn't work anymore.

Also, I noticed that "My Location" search option in the browser also doesn't work for me,

0 Likes
Arizona623
Enthusiast - Level 3

I get the same thing on mine. The reason mine is because I live in the middle of nowhere,HAHA.When I'm inside the house it says I'm like 40 miles away from where I'm really at but when I go outside it marks my location right on the spot.But it does say that sometimes my location is unavailable when I'm in the house sometimes.

0 Likes
mysticalmalissa
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine is doing the same thing.  It works fine on my original Droid, but not on the X.

0 Likes
splicer8
Enthusiast - Level 3

You have to have an unobstructed view to the sky with gps satellites. You can also use wireless networks.

0 Likes
hogger

The verizon ipads do not work either an Apple tech told me this today on the phone because the ipads do not have the hardware to support GPS. Got two of these very expensive ipads for Christmas and am VERY disappointed..
0 Likes
geochapman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had an interesting occurrence with My Location also. When in a local Grocery Store I get a location for the store that is several miles from where the store is. However Google maps as well as Navteq list the store at the same wrong location.  No GPS signal can get to the DX so it must be using the Google location. Outside where there is GPS signal My Location is correct. This says something about your interpretation of these programs. I've turned the mistake in several times but so far no correction.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I would suggest that you download/install the "GPS TEST"  APP.   It will give you a very clear indicator of just how many satellites and what signal strength you are getting...  it's free in Market.

0 Likes
davidmanvell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Because I sometimes have issues with the GPS locking in I have had to turn on the other location settings sometimes to get mine to work.

Go to Settings/Location & Security Settings/ and turn on Use Wireless Networks, Use GPS Satellites and Enable Assisted GPS. Between the three of those hopefully it will help you narrow down where you are.

The first requires you be connected to a nearby a wireless network.

The second one is to turn on the GPS.

I'm not sure what the third option is, maybe someone here can explain it for us. Turning it on though does sem to help sometimes.

One other thing a GPS may take a few minutes to locate where you are so if you just turned it on give it a few minutes to locate your position, especially if indoors. Some GPSs may take up to 5 minutes to locate all the satellites.

0 Likes