Multiple Issues with 4.0.4
AjayLA

I finally gave into the constant messages to update -- said it would take several minutes.  After more than an hour, with the phone getting pretty hot, the phone battery ran down so I'm not sure if that affected the installation of the update.

Anyway, after fully charging, I'm finding several problems.

Wi-Fi:  The wi-fi connection previously worked well OK, but I'd have to turn it off to use 4G or 4G internet connections in non-wi-fi areas.  Now the phone no longer indicates it's connected to wi-fi, but rather alternates between starting and connected -- and also alternates between two available signals.  And even within one foot of the router, it indicates a "weak" signal.

Pictures:  The picture taking function no longer works.  The photo program loads, and you can take pictures, but they are not available anywhere I can find to send, attach to contacts, etc.

Music:  The phone said I had very little capacity left in memory, so I transferred all music to a removable flash drive that I'd installed long ago.  But neither of the two music apps can find the music.

I find some aspects of the ICS very pleasing aesthetically, but it's frustrating that many functions seem not to be working at all, or not as well as they had.  Advice?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Multiple Issues with 4.0.4
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

For future reference, you should always ensure that the phone is fully charged and/or connected to a wall charger before installing an update, especially one as big as ICS!  With that said, yes, the update may not have completely downloaded/installed.  ICS will take a few days to optimize your phone and during that time, the battery life may be poor and/or the phone act funky.  I'd suggest first doing a system cache clear and see if that helps:

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

ginnypres
Enthusiast - Level 1

Doing this system cache clear TOTALLY fixed fixed ALL the problems I was having after the 4.0.4 update, including only getting 3G service (instead of 4G), hotspot connection reliability and extreme battery drain!!! I'd already spoken with Verizon people and Motorola people about the problems, and they were of no help! I didn't know what I was going to do for the remaining 15 months of my contract!!! I'm now almost thrilled with my phone again.

Thank you!!!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Excellent!

0 Likes
AjayLA

This procedure didn't aleviate my problems, so I took the phone into a VZW store, where they restored it to factory specs, possibly doing the same thing as you recommended above, but this time it worked.  It took about 5 minutes.  Now it's much better, even though I had to reload all my applications and adjust all the settings.  (They kept the contacts, though data in fields other than e-mail and phone were deleted -- not an issue since I have all that in Outlook.)  No more problems with wi-fi connections, though the battery seems to go much more quickly than before the upgrade.

My only irritation is that the phone says "Verizon Wireless" every time I have an incoming e-mail or text.  I've looked in "Sounds" and unclicked everything that looks related, but the talk persists.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

A factory reset involves a bit more than clearing the system cache ... you usually do a factory reset after a system update when a cache clear doesn't work.  Like you found out, a factory reset deletes all your info./settings, where a system cache clear only deletes system info.

The battery may not last as long if it's always looking for a signal.  You can't turn off LTE and put it on 3G anymore with ICS like you could with Gingerbread.  If you want to go that route, you'll need to download 'LTE on/off' from the Play Store.

To turn off the sound you're talking about ... in your Sound settings, did you ensure that 'Roaming tone' doesn't have a check beside it?

0 Likes
EvoSteve-O
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found this thread after experiencing tethering issues with 4.0.4,  Cleared the cache as suggested and it works fine.  Thanks!

0 Likes