Android
Ahmer50

Thanks so far guys,

I think I've decided against the Fascinate because I don't like the looks of the Touchwiz UI over Android. So now its between the Incredible and X and I'll just go play with both in store (when the X is released) and decide :smileywink:

0 Likes
Re: Android
AZSALUKI
Legend

and fyi.....while swype is cool, i beleve there are apps that you can get that feature it (or a version of it) which can be downloaded on any android. not sure, but i thought any of these phones could get swype....not just the x.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Swype had an open beta a while back where anyone could download it on various android devices.  I'm currently using it on the Droid and love it.  The Droid X will be the first Android phone to ship with it stock and the Fascinate will also include swype.   There are other apps on the market that imitate swype though. 

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid X or HTC Droid Incredible or Samsung Fascinate or Wait?
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Ok so the Samsung phone is a little bit of a disappointment.  It has the best Processor of the options you listed.  All of them use the same core being a Cortex A8 ARM 11 processing Core but the Hummingbird uses a technology Apple bought a few years back to give added capabilities to the processing core.  It isn't just sick fast like the other 1ghz mobile processors it is sickly capable as well.  Don't get me wrong more advanced processors are coming soon, real soon by most reports, but hummingbird is a snapdragon on steroids.  The camera is weak a 5mp camera with poor JPG processing.  Surprising considering Samsung and Pentax have come a long way in their digital cameras with very good processing now.  Seems Samsung could have put a little of their point and shoot expertiese into this puppy.  I guess they didn't.  The UI doesn't sound impressive in fact it sounds like it is a poor attempt at trying to compete with the much detested Motorola Blur UI.  They would have been better served going Vanilla and building some features in like Motorola did with the Droid X.  Super Amoled seems like it could be promising but we shall see.  This is a late comer to the 1Ghz top end phone market and without a front facing camera it is a little surprising the offering they come with.  In my experience the Samsung phone will be an excellent phone but I would wait.  This one seems to be lacking in a lot of ways despite looking great on paper.  Also it makes Bing the standard Search feature.  Talk about lame duck. 

Droid X would probably be my favorite of the bunch right now.  It has a larger screen lots of features it uses the standard Android User Interface while incorporating the few and far between loved features of Blur without all the much hated Blur features.  The original Motorola Droid was a fun phone when I had it and still quite capable this takes that to the next level providing a much improved user experience.  I never used the slide out keyboard so you shouldn't miss it.  If you think you will the Droid 2 is coming soon enough which is said to include it.  Droid X is supposed to be a beast.  I haven't seen a lot of hands on reviews obviously but its specs are definitely there.  HDMI output, HD recording, mechanical shutter, image stabilization, 8MP camera, Standard Android res screen for now, 4.3" Good battery life, now it basically uses Standard Android but adds in a few extras.

Droid Incredible will require an extended battery.  The standard battery will get you through the day if you don't use it much.  Not a huge deal the Extended batteries should get you through whatever you need.  Smaller than the other two but plenty large enough.  FM radio which is nice to have as an added bonus.  There is an update coming out any day that is bringing some improvements as well but also WifiHotspot capabilities and HiDef recording are among the coming features.  The camera is quite capable I have taking some outstanding pictures with mine.  I enjoy Sense UI but can definitely live without it.  Most of the widgets that are so exciting on Sense phones I deactivated to save battery opting for the stock widgets instead.  I do enjoy having a button on the bottom of the screen for phone and a few other minor features it has.  TV out is through RCA connects so no HD output and the cords are difficult to find.  The standard is probably going to be HDMI soon so I would more than likely opt for a phone that makes use of that so you can use the cord on other phones when you upgrade later.  So far I am well pleased with my Incredible but all things being equal if I were looking right now I would be Droid X all the way. 

If the iPhone keeps up their manufacturing snaffus I believe I would avoid it even on Verizon.  AT&T has been proven by many 3rd party companies to be a capable network with great speeds even top of the line speeds in 3G areas the iPHone has struggled to make use of their network because of lingering design issues.  Verizon is supposed to be getting the iPhone next year at least that is what I hear from AT&T employees.  My advice will remain the same.  iPhone has too many issues and Android is gaining fast.  The last iPhone was nothing more than an attempt at Apple to catch up with Android and by the time the next iPhone is being released the Android market will have as many or more developers including many of the iApp developers and as many or more apps.  The Android market is currently unofficially growing by 15,000 apps a month.  Froyo and its added capabilities and new programming options, not to mention app to SD additions should increase it even further not to mention by the end of the year the phone technology will be insane capable of running almost anything conceivable. 

LTE is right around the corner that is true.  By the end of this year major major markets will be covered doubling by early next year.  The first devices will be modems.  Smartphones will be the second devices seen but time frames for device rollout is still unknown.  By 2013 Verizon will have the entire current 3G footprint covered in LTE with the capability of blanketing the US with opportunities never before available to them.  I am not sure I would recommend waiting for the LTE phones since the first phones may not be rolling out until late next year or possibly even 2012 (though I would be surprised if we didn't see LTE smartphones before Christmas 2011).  Worst case I would get a 1 year contract on a Droid X if you are really wanting to be an early adopter in LTE and you live in a Major to major medium market.  I don't want to commit myself but I think I would wait until 2013 with 2012 being the earliest to get an LTE phone.  Now I say that and given the opportunity I know I would jump on it in 2011 given the option but I wouldn't be expecting to see an LTE phone before 2012 at least not one that is viable as an LTE option.  The end of this year is going to hold insane enough phones especially if Motorola comes through on their reported time frame we will see 2Ghz phones with the plausibility of multicore processing by the end of the year.    I don't think they mentioned the multicore thing but there are cores capable of it now and chips already tested that high it's just a matter of perfecting and making them power viable.   It may be enough to make you question the current line up.  But the current line up will be more than perfectly capable for a good year or more.  We are just seeing things move that quickly these days. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

fezzik....i gotta say that fm radio is a big selling point for me (years ago it was a main reason that i waited for the microsoft zune instead of getting an ipod....that and the screen size) and i was VERY disappointed to realize that headphones or speakers have to be plugged in to run the fm radio. i guess it is still a feature that other phones don't have....but in all the reviews i read before buying it, nobody mentioned that you couldn't just listen to the radio through the phone's speaker. :smileysad: 

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah.  The main issue I have with that is that headphones are shielded so that you don't get interferance on them while listening to music or talking on them in the case of phone headsets.  It is just that shielding that makes them terrible antennaes.  But the problem is antennaes are required to pick up radio stations and they had to have someway of doing it.  Either cram more stuff in the phone and make it bulkier (which in my opinion if they gave us a real battery there might be room for an fm antennae) or make it so headphones are the antennae.  It is a terrible solution I admit but it is there and very few phones have it. 

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Ok so now I have to say Sense is a big downside.  It is pretty cool and adds its experience but Froyo makes the need for Sense essentially obsolete changing the bottom bar to include phone and all the other stuff and Flash Sense is useless but Sense means that upgrades come months later than other phones.  Motorola isn't the quickest to update either but the Droid and soon to be DROID X don't have overlay UI's that take forever to port. 

0 Likes
bruski
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an Incredible, and just had a chance to try an X for a minute. The X is big and cool, but I will happily stay with my Incredible. I happen to like the sense ui and the brighter display. I held my Incredible next to the X and it made the X look dull - just like the new iphone. If you really need a BIG display, then go with the X - its just too big for my taste.

0 Likes
Napoleon9558

I'd go with the Fascinate. Go to T-Mobile or AT&T and try a Vibrant or Captivate. I also would prefer vanilla android to a hardware company's UI, but Touchwiz is actually kind of nice. I find the Galaxy to be faster then Droid X because its superior GPU loads games, pictures, and videos better. The super AMOLED screen is even more beautiful than the gorgeous Droid Incredible Screen and a billion times brighter, sharper, and more colorful than the X's screen. Additionally, I've had bad experience's with Motorola phones. I find that they break alot. The X and Incredible are great phones, but I wouldn't rule at the Fascinate yet.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsRead.do?news_seq=19679&gltype=localnews

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Napoleon9558 wrote:

I'd go with the Fascinate. Go to T-Mobile or AT&T and try a Vibrant or Captivate. I also would prefer vanilla android to a hardware company's UI, but Touchwiz is actually kind of nice. I find the Galaxy to be faster then Droid X because its superior GPU loads games, pictures, and videos better. The super AMOLED screen is even more beautiful than the gorgeous Droid Incredible Screen and a billion times brighter, sharper, and more colorful than the X's screen. Additionally, I've had bad experience's with Motorola phones. I find that they break alot. The X and Incredible are great phones, but I wouldn't rule at the Fascinate yet.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsRead.do?news_seq=19679&gltype=localnews

I think the Galaxy S will be the next big android phone. I don't think T-mobile or AT&T have the phone available yet though.

0 Likes