Re: Motorola Droid & Tethering to my laptop
Kilcranp

Search for an app in the store call {edit for TOS violation} writes it and it works great.

I wouls also run Net counter, another free app that tracks Network trafic on your phone by day, week and month.

{edit for TOS violation } is free for non secure sites, but there is a one time charge for secure sites.

Just watch your usage as the limit is around 5 gig per month.

0 Likes
Jazcrockett09

{edit for TOS violation} in the market works. Its only a trial though but it should suffice you. If need be you can buy the full version online.

0 Likes
motoscammed

I don't want to brag but you can get high usage downloads using your cell by visiting streaming music sites, downloading photos or pdf files or just plain surfing. A  tethered pc generating  or receiving "data"  is the same "data"  a cell phone generates or receives:smileywink:. Only the source is different . Check your usage section of your bill. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Not applicable

motoscammed wrote:

I don't want to brag but you can get high usage downloads using your cell by visiting streaming music sites, downloading photos or pdf files or just plain surfing. A  tethered pc generating  or receiving "data"  is the same "data"  a cell phone generates or receives:smileywink:. Only the source is different . Check your usage section of your bill. :smileyvery-happy:

What is it you're "not bragging" about? Did you invent tethering?
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, I don't really get what he's trying to say either.  Sure it's extremely easy to get a good amount of usage from streaming audio or video regularly.  I believe I averaged between 4 and 5GB just by streaming iheartradio for 2hrs/day 5 days/week at work plus normal usage.  So it's not like he's making a revelation or anything. 

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1

Search the market or root your phone... {please keep your posts courteous}

Be Careful. While our members are generally helpful and eager to provide useful information, Wireless customers need to be cautious on what you decide to download as there is always potential risk that your device may be damaged or void your warranty.

Further, any posted content that states any benefits of why rooting or hacking should be done is also not allowed.

Thank you.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

ha Verizon is really opening themselves up for a lot of flack if the article below is true.  What's funny is rooted wireless tether apps and usb tether work perfectly fine on the leaked copies of froyo.

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=6383

"No Hotspot, No Tethering for Motorola Droid

posted Today, 9:42 AM   by Eric M. Zeman 
updated Today, 10:17 AM

Verizon Wireless announced on July 30 that the Motorola Droid would receive the Android 2.2 update starting the week of August 2. Android 2.2 natively supports tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot creation. The Motorola Droid, however, will not offer these features. Verizon Wireless spokesperson Brenda Raney said to Phone Scoop in an email, "The Droid by Motorola doesn't have [the] hardware to support a Mobile Hotspot. With tethering there is no Connection on the PC side that will allow you to tether the device so the answer is that option isn't part of this update." Raney also said the over-the-air update will be pushed to a small set of users first to make sure it works properly. Once that is confirmed to work, Verizon will begin the general roll-out in phases. Android 2.2 offers a wide range of other improvements, including better security, Flash Player Mobile 10.1, voice dialing via Bluetooth, and improved camera performance."

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

I saw that reposted on CNET.  Apparently the company rep is fine just plain lying about the phone's capabilities, like there isn't an army of people out there who can demonstrate otherwise. 

Maybe one of these days VZW will get it through thier heads that people aren't going to pay extra for the same data they already paid for once, and in fact, get less of it than they initially paid for.  Does the electric company charge me extra because I want to use electricity to power my TV?  Or do they just charge me for the electricity I use?  I already bought "unlimited" data from VZW, what is the difference if it is used to access a website on my phone or on my computer tethering to the phone?  Are the 0's and 1's different?

0 Likes
atheodosy2

just download {edit for TOS violation}...and it works perfectly all you need is the usb cord and 3g service qwherever you are. I went on a trip 2 weeks ago and where we were staying their wifi went down the day we got there and of course everyone on the trip had work they needed to get done. lets just say i rarely saw my phone for the next 5 days becuase the group of around 15 all took turns using it 24/7. and dont worry your use for data is "unlimited" it isnt capped like att and even after the entire week of them using it i still hadnt even hit 1mb of usage so dont think you'll have to much to worry about.

0 Likes
EnterNameHere

All I know is this issue with removing the features had helped me make the decision to root my phone.  I didnt care about it before because the phone did what I wanted.  I was really looking forward to this Hotspot feature with the Update. 

Be Careful. While our members are generally helpful and eager to provide useful information, Wireless customers need to be cautious on what you decide to download as there is always potential risk that your device may be damaged or void your warranty.

Further, any posted content that states any benefits of why rooting or hacking should be done is also not allowed.

Thank you.

0 Likes