Motorola Droid Issues following 2.2 update
Tomakron
Enthusiast - Level 3

To all of the technicians and users with 2.2 issues.  I may have found a partial solution.

Since installing the 2.2 update a few weeks ago I have had ongoing issues.  Specifically when I retrieve my phone from the leather belt pouch I find the phone on, open, unlocked and on many different screens (other than one of the home screens).

After several calls to Verizon and a visit to the local Verizon store I took the "Canned Answer" and reluctantly did a Hard Reset.

After reloading my Free Apps, reattaching photos to all of my contacts and other setting edits, I found the phone was doing the same as before the Hard Reset.

Finally, I set the tone for Lock/Unlock and discovered that when I placed the phone into the leather belt pouch I could hear the unlock tone and when I pulled the phone out it was on and the active screen was whichever App Icon/Widget I had touched when pulling the phone out of the case.

This is random but frequent and I have missed several business calls because of it.

I even held the belt pouch in my hand, inserted the phone and heard it unlock, turn on and open to an App --- This causes battery to be used faster than normal (A frequent issue posted by 2.2 users).

I further determined that the unlock only occurs when the case magnet makes contact with the case magnet.

I went back to the hard 2 piece case (It's a pain because it has to be removed to use the dock station at night) and have not had the condition occur since Saturday 8/28/2010.

The only remaining issue I have is that I experience drop/pause frequently when playing Pandora or Ihard Radio via Bluetooth and my Ford Sync system.  I'll continue to try to resolve this issue as well.

Wouldn't it be appropriate to receive complimentary unlimited data for life of just a New Droid 2 for this Magnetic interference Solution --- Ha Ha Ha.

Let me know if this solution works for you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Motorola Droid Issues following 2.2 update
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The Droid 2 will have the same problem as it uses a magnet to go into car or multimedia mode.  That's how the desk dock and car mounts work.  Cases with a magnetic closure aren't recommended for any of the motorola droid devices (1, X, and 2)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The Droid 2 will have the same problem as it uses a magnet to go into car or multimedia mode.  That's how the desk dock and car mounts work.  Cases with a magnetic closure aren't recommended for any of the motorola droid devices (1, X, and 2)

0 Likes
Tomakron
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think I saw that warning in any documentation, nor was I told of that when purchasing 2 $30.00 Droid cases at the Verizon store.

I am over using the magnetic case at this point and happy I discovered the solution.

Just would have thought Verizon would then have pulled the magnetic flap cases from the shelf rather than continuing to sell them.

Case would be great with Velcro flap closure.

Just thought it would be a good gesture for Verizon, Motorola or Google to show a token of appreciation for discovering  the solution  to a major issueAt least I didn't keep it to myself --- Ha Ha:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, unfortunately they're there just to make money.  It's a shame that they still market it online and in stores eventhough there's clearly an issue.  I believe there's an app in the market that will block the phone from going into dock mode but can't remember the name of it.

0 Likes
Tomakron
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your input.  I am just trying to figure out what changed in 2.2 that would have created this issue.  It was not an issue in 2.1 --- Everything including Bluetooth streaming worked fine on 2.1.

Any thoughts on the drop signal and random pause of bluetooth on 2.2?

0 Likes
ALinAZ

New Droid X user. (appox. 6 days)

Had been seeing the same "Unlock" issue with Verizon leather belt pouch.

I would lock phone, insert into Verizon leather pouch and close flap.

When removed from pouch, Display was on and phone unlocked.

Had been inserting the phone with the Display toward belt clip & Battery toward magnetic flap.

(as soon as the flap is closed you can see the Display turn on)

Issue "appears" to be resolved when phone is inserted with Display toward magnetic flap.

Not sure that I really like this orientation, but time will tell. 

(really do like the pouch)

Will probably explain my typical Display Battery usage of over 55% .

Thanks for your posting,

0 Likes