Motorola Droid Doesn't Play MP3's
deadhead613

I hope someone has an idea, because I'm at a loss.  I've put my MP3s on iPhones, BlackBerrys, Windows Mobile, Palm Pre and Motorola "dumb" phones without a problem.

I have a number of MP3's on the SD card.  The Driod finds them just fine and lets me view them by artist, album, etc. so I know that the device is able to read the MP3 format.  When I try to play any of the songs I get a message that "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file." Huh?

The music was ripped by a number of different apps.  I use 128-256 kbps VBR encoding.  Does anyone know if this is the problem?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid Plays MP3's Just Fine
REMilk

I have 5 gig of MP3s on the Micro-SD card in my Motorola Droid.  The music player apps seems to play all of them just fine.

Bob

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid Doesn't Play MP3's
del2484

download tunewiki and see if it works with that.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

are the songs DRMed?  i wonder if they are and that the Droid wont play them because of that?

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

willanaya wrote:

are the songs DRMed?  i wonder if they are and that the Droid wont play them because of that?

A lot of people are going to have that issue.  If you bought the MP3's from a service it can only be played on compatible devices.  If you bought them from iTunes it has to be an iPod, or iPhone or the like, if you bought it from whatever the media players DRM service of the month is it has to be a Zune or computer or the like.  The Droid apparently works with the Amazon store beyond that I wouldn't expect it to work with very much else.  Best to burn the songs to cd and then rip them back to mp3 or Flaac or Ogg or something. 

0 Likes
fucher74

So if u download doubleTwist to your computer anything u have on your computer u can tranfer, ie. itunes, zune, or any other formats. It works perfectly.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

i googled your double twist and some of the comments about the program wont necessarily transfer all the music. its like a hit or miss.

so the question is that you could rip them all to a cd and then put them back on your computer like fezzik suggests or use double twist but have to go back through your collection and rip the ones that double twist couldn't transfer.

this is why i buy amazon or rhapsody.  itunes is such a rip off.

0 Likes
ivorycruncher
Contributor - Level 1

Um, forgive me for being blunt, but please DO NOT refer to every digital music format as MP3.  iTunes does not sell music in MP3 format.  They use AAC format.  Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if Android supports that format natively or not, but if you have AAC files that have not been un-DRM'd in iTunes, they absolutely will not play on anything but an iPod/iPhone.

On the other hand, if the files you have are in the actual MP3 format, it is impossible for them to be DRM'd, because the MP3 codecs do not support any DRM technology.  Given that fact, if you are trying to play MP3-format files, and it won't work, I would be very suspicious that your phone is defective.  You might want to take it to a Verizon store to have them check it out.

0 Likes
rjones

Don't know what the DROID likes as an MP3 standard, but if the mp3s have been ripped at really high quality, it may not accept them. I had that problem on my Treo. It would only play wma and mp3s that had been ripped at the standard quality levels. For example, wma lossless or variable bit rate would not play on it. Anybody know if DROID has limits on these formats? I've had no problem so far and I dumped 1200 songs into it combined wmvs and mp3s, all ripped at standard quality levels.

The DROID manual says it will accept AMR-NB/WB (whatever that is), MP3, PCM/WAV, AAC, AAC+, midi, OGG and WMA. The only one that would be nice to include would be FLAC, which had a much better quality than those listed.

As someone mentioned above, the manual states that it won't support DRM protected files.

Don't know what you're using as a ripper, but if you use Microsoft Media Player, you have to be sure that you have the 'copy protect' button turned off in the 'rip music' options.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

ivorycruncher wrote:

Um, forgive me for being blunt, but please DO NOT refer to every digital music format as MP3.  iTunes does not sell music in MP3 format.  They use AAC format.  Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if Android supports that format natively or not, but if you have AAC files that have not been un-DRM'd in iTunes, they absolutely will not play on anything but an iPod/iPhone.

On the other hand, if the files you have are in the actual MP3 format, it is impossible for them to be DRM'd, because the MP3 codecs do not support any DRM technology.  Given that fact, if you are trying to play MP3-format files, and it won't work, I would be very suspicious that your phone is defective.  You might want to take it to a Verizon store to have them check it out.

sometimes you have to refer to songs in this manner because it is a phrase that a majority of people are familiar with.  just like calling all soda "Coke", I need a Kleenex, not a tissue, or you saw that gun? you dont say .38, 357, glock, you say gun.

i am sure that the next step in finding a solution would have been what format the song was, then go from there.

to deadhead613:

rrjones is correct, i did download two Presidents of the United States mp3's last summer, but my EnV3 would not play them.  so i saved them to my pc then transferred them back to my phone, and everything was okay.

0 Likes