Moto Droid physical keyboard double letters
cmemmons

Ok I bought a Motorola Android for verizon about 8 months ago. And its been working fine for 6 and a half months but then of course my power button randomly broke... I think it is the little spring inside somehow broke? Anyway this is annoying and i am sure i can get it fixed but not my biggest concern.

About a month ago my keyboard (physical qwerty) keyboard started acting weird. (I haven't 'hacked' or updated my phone through the internet) for all intensive purposes it is brand new). When i typed a message it began to miss some letters and double others; example 'hey what's up" became 'heey watts uup'. It started off small, and a double here and a miss there but in the past month it has gotten HORRIBLE. At this point I can not even use the keyboard, when i type in passwords on internet or google search it is unrecognizable. I just tied typing 'hey how are you' in the google search and got 'y h r yo'... As you can see it is completely screwed up... pushing hard on keys or any of that doesnt help. I am pretty sure i need to go into my local verizon store... 40 min away! and get a new phone or replacement of this one, and since i am in 1 yr it should be free right? BY the way, 3 out of 4 of my friends are beginning to have same problem with their droids! they are in the beginning stage tho and it isnt as bad as mine... but it seems to be getting worse for them too!!!

Lots of questions let me break down it here:

1) anyone else having this problem

2) has anyone resolved this

3) will verizon fix/replace my phone

3a) if so i here you can get the droid x instead (saw some forums) this true?

anything will help thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Moto Droid physical keyboard double letters
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

Hi.  I am sorry you are having issues with your phone and I will be happy to help you from here.   It does seem like it is a defect with the phone's buttons.  You can get it replaced if that is the case.   Yes, you are correct, it would be free if you are within your one year warranty.   

By the way, I do have the Droid myself and have never had this particular issue.  I would recommend we take a look at it to get it replaced.

Please let me know if this worked for you :smileywink:

Thanks!

0 Likes
auntdeb61

I am also having problems with the double letters when I use the physical keyboard.  I've even gone as far as to do a factory reset on my phone thinking it may be a third party application that I downloaded that might be causing the problem.  Unfortunately, that was not the problem.

I absolutely hate the thought of having to go to the Verizon store and spend half my day there waiting to have my phone looked at. :smileysad:

0 Likes
MGinNY

I've been having the exact same problem for 2 months now and my phone is not even 1 year old yet.

I never use the onscreen keyboard because it is so inaccurate (and I don't even have very large fingers); it just never indicates the letter on screen that I wanted, always the (wrong) one next to it.  So I have nly ever used the flip out keyboard to do any typing, and for at least the past 2 months, it is always doubling up on any vowels that I type, only the vowels.  I guess because they get used so much, they are wearing out - which is awful.  Nothing is made to last any more.

I too am dreading having to waste a chunk of my Saturday to go to a Verizon store and get it sorted out.  And get the usual "Oh, but now there's a brand new model and if you sign up for another 2 years, you can get it for free instead!" spiel.....

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

The one year manufacturer's warranty will cover manufactures defects with the phone.  Usually you are issued a replacement device of the same model when the device is replaced.   As a Droid user I have not experienced any problems with the keyboard, but I primarily use the virtual keyboard.  

0 Likes
cmemmons

Ok so I started this thread here is the deal....

Shipped my phone back to verizon they gave me new one... yaaaa, all free no problems...

guess what... the replacement is beginning to do the same...

so just a heads up to the manufacturers and the verizon employees that tell you this isn't a problem and there are no none problems... thats a lie... 2/2 for me....

0 Likes