Minimize Droid X Issues After Froyo Update....
Wildman
Legend

This has been verified as being the best way to stop a number of the issues that has developed after doing Froyo update, the system seem to keep the 2.1 app and settings during installation process and this seems to cause a number of incompatible issues with a number of devices.... Follow this process after completing Froyo Update to avoid problems..

Follow these settings during restore to avoid issues being restored automatically.

1. Uncheck "Back up my data" under Settings/Privacy

2. Click Factory Data Reset/Reset Phone

3. After reset is complete only Active Phone but do not input Google Email information

4. Once phone is at homepage go back into Settings/Privacy and make sure the Automatic Restore option is unchecked, even if grayed out, activate "Back up my data" and quickly disable "Automatic Restore"

5. After being sure that the Automatic Restore option is off it will be safe to log into Google and you can continue installing preferred apps and custom settings.

This process will stop all applications and settings from restoring automatically and restoring original issues that usually resolve a number of issues.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Minimize Droid X Issues After Froyo Update....
Wildman
Legend

djtonic wrote:

Wildman got sick of posting this simple process a million times!!  Good call Wildman to put it up as a topic.

This may not fix every issue, but it certainly does address a handful of the most common complaints and troubles people are having. ( i want to add that I havent had many issues with the X or 2.2 personally)

Dj.

I was noticing that it seem to reflect a number of the complaints or issues with device performance after the update, so I figured this might help the user.
I had the "M" screen of fun..:smileyvery-happy: but I worked through that and device has ran smooth since...  I'm still loving my X.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Wildman got sick of posting this simple process a million times!!  Good call Wildman to put it up as a topic.

This may not fix every issue, but it certainly does address a handful of the most common complaints and troubles people are having. ( i want to add that I havent had many issues with the X or 2.2 personally)

Dj.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

djtonic wrote:

Dj.

I was noticing that it seem to reflect a number of the complaints or issues with device performance after the update, so I figured this might help the user.
I had the "M" screen of fun..:smileyvery-happy: but I worked through that and device has ran smooth since...  I'm still loving my X.

0 Likes
Izeburgh

Wildman wrote:

5. After being sure that the Automatic Restore option is off it will be safe to log into Google and you can continue installing preferred apps and custom settings.

Is there a point where you will want to turn this back on?

0 Likes
Izeburgh

I meant to also ask, what about all the contacts we manually entered? Factory reset will remove them. Or are we trusting the google backup and verizon's backup program to restore those after the reset is done?

Sorry I ask but somehow my phone lost several self entered contacts prior to the 2.2 update that should have been back-uped but are not on the phone, and I just renentered them all.

0 Likes
Nate2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't recall explicitly "accepting" this 2.2 "Froyo" update.
I woke up one morning and found it installed on my DroidX.

I was on a business trip with 50% battery left when it occurred.
That was certainly not the time I wanted to do a major update.

That issue aside, I noticed my phone under 2.2 would frequently freeze for about 15 seconds when I was doing basic things.

I did a soft reset (took battery out for a while), and the issue seems to have gone away.
My "Backup my data" setting was (had always been?) unchecked, so I don't plan on doing a hard reset.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Izeburgh wrote:

Wildman wrote:

Is there a point where you will want to turn this back on?

Yes, your contacts is saved on Google's account and they do not restore to device until you log into your Google account. The phone uses this information to verify your device for person information.

I didnt place the step to run Backup Assistant and place backup password, this will complete the restoring process of contacts.. And about the couple of a contacts not backed up mean that the backup app wasnt run after contacts being added, its wise to always run Backup Assistant as soon as you change or add a contact.

Nate2 wrote:

I don't recall explicitly "accepting" this 2.2 "Froyo" update.
I woke up one morning and found it installed on my DroidX.

I was on a business trip with 50% battery left when it occurred.
That was certainly not the time I wanted to do a major update.

That issue aside, I noticed my phone under 2.2 would frequently freeze for about 15 seconds when I was doing basic things.

I did a soft reset (took battery out for a while), and the issue seems to have gone away.
My "Backup my data" setting was (had always been?) unchecked, so I don't plan on doing a hard reset.

You are not being forced to do a Factory Reset but since the update has been released a number of user reported issues with device and a large amount of their issue was coming from settings and apps from 2.1 not being removed during update process and this process has resolved a number of users issues and from the last part of your post you are having similar issues.  But a hard reset is your decision.

Also the "Backup my Data" isn't the issue completely, its the Auto Restore option, it runs at startup automatically if checked or not, this is why the instruction reported to enable "Backup my Data"and then disable "Auto Restore" option.
0 Likes
Izeburgh

Thanks Wildman your fix work.

The Factory Reset ended up working. Found out also my news feeds had stop syncing, that corrected with the Factory Reset also. Unfortunatly some contacts that were lost with the update did not come back after the Reset. Also intersting that one of the apps I used to have Android Lightsaber no longer comes up under the marketplace for me to download and reinstall.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Glad it worked out for you, the Market seem to be having issues, I have a few apps that wont show up on market also... Many users has reported this issue but if you have apps apks backup you can usually insyall them still.

0 Likes
Soly29
Contributor - Level 1

I'm in the process of doing this now after everythign is set up on my phone do I turn on Automatic Restore or do I leave unchecked?  Thanks!

0 Likes