Man I feel lucky!
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
I realize that the D Inc does have some genuine issues, since you see the same complaints with alot of "me too" going on. But having one of the "good ones", I can say that this phone is appropriately named as far as I'm concerned. When I had my Eris, everything went bad when the 2.1 update hit. The phone became unreliable as a "phone" which is its mission first and foremost. The posts here from angry customers waiting for the 2.2 update are a carbon copy of when the Eris was waiting on 2.1. I was as ticked as everybody else at the time. And then to have the phone become unusable once the update finally arrived was disappointing and infuriating. But I called Verizon, explained the situation, and they promptly sent me out a new (refurbished) phone which had none of the issues that the old one did. I'm occasionally dumbfounded by some of the complaints I read here. Valid complaints, with people asking "what do I do?" CALL VERIZON! Give them a chance to make it right. You bought a new phone with a warranty, it's totally reasonable to expect that VZW should insure that you have a properly functioning piece of equipment. I was very happy with my Eris, but I'm a gadgethead and the allure of the Inc was more than I could bear. I bought it and love it. I have none of the bugs or glitches others are complaining about. The phone is a good piece of equipment and perfectly capable of delivering the service you expect. If it's not doing what it's supposed to do, ask Verizon to make it right. That's why you went with America's biggest wireless provider, isn't it?? As far as Froyo...it will (hopefully) just be the icing on an already fantastic cake when it arrives. I look forward to the increased functionality, but frankly, I'm pretty darn happy with the phone as-is. Everyone else deserves to be happy with theirs too. Complaining on this forum won't get your phone fixed...EVER! Calling *611 will. And be patient on the Froyo update, lest ye end up like a bunch of Eris users who screamed until they got their update, then screamed about the update.
0 Likes
Re: Man I feel lucky!
max69442
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm happy your situation has gone well for you. However, it has not for many people who own the Incredible. I go to many different forums including this one, and many people have tried calling in to resolve their issues. Some have gotten replacements, some have been told that a replacement will not fix the issue and to wait for the update (which was rolled into froyo). Others have been offered the Droid X. To say that all of these people have only come onto to here to find out what to do is not realistic. I'm sure some have, but that's probably due to the fact that the last time they called Verizon to resolve the issue they weren't as lucky as you.

Earlier this year I was told when I had spotty coverage for a few days that they would offer to let me outta my contract so I could go to another carrier. Which would've been great if they hadn't just bought up the only other carrier in the area (Alltel). They didn't even suggest a network extender as an alternative solution. The reason I called in was about the same time the year before we had spotty coverage for a few days as well. I wanted to find out if, around that time of the year, they do network maintenance. They said there was nothing shown being worked on in our area. I said it seems odd that the same thing happened a year earlier, they had no explanation for it.

These forums are here for a reason, if Verizon can't resolve the issue, come on here and either search for, or post for a solution to the problem. For example, I ended up getting a network extender last month. When I activated it I couldn't get my phone to call out on it. I could receive calls but not call out. I spent a total of 4 hours with tech support to resolve the issue, which they never did. I found people having similar issues on this forum as well as on others. One person posted something on one of the other forums that gave me an idea. I tried it and it resolved the issue. I immediately posted the solution on the forums to the people having the issue and called Verizon's tech support to tell them I resolved the issue and how I resolved it so they could have that knowledge for users in the future with the same issue. So in this case, 5 heads are better than 2.

If you don't like the forums where people are complaining about their issues, you have a very simple solution, don't read them. No one is forcing you to read them. They have a right to air their issues and maybe in doing so, they will get them resolved.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
I agree. I'm well aware these forums won't get my upgrade faster, but its a good way to vent, and swap ideas, problems, solutions. Just be plain nerdy. I love it!
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

a certain % of EVERY device will be lemons. iphone, X, droid, eris, etc. they all let a bunch out the door with problems. now some devices had A LOT more of these lemons (see htc eris), but they all have some (the env touch has a bunch out there that just shut down in your pocket and you have no idea how long it's been off). i don't know how many units of the inc have been sold but i know it was 200,000 in the first few days. i would guess that the % of faulty ones is in line with any other device. that doesn't help those that got the lemons, but, like dangeroudave....mine has run for nearly 4 months flawlessly and the quality is fine.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

max69442 wrote:

To say that all of these people have only come onto to here to find out what to do is not realistic.

You're absolutely right, that would be unrealistic, which is why I said "occassionally" and "some" people. I was refering to the people who say they just brought their phone home and it has some obvious defect and they want to know what to do. Call Verizon! I appreciate and empathise with everything else you said, but that's NOT the people I was addressing. I hope everyone's phone problems are rectified soon, but to those who haven't even given Verizon a chance to make it right for *them*, then tough luck Chuck. Complaining on a forum definitely won't fix it. And I read the forum to look for new info and see if I can help, as it should be. But you don't always know what the content of a post will be until you read it. Know what I mean??? But thanks for your helpful reply.
0 Likes
Lobo74

Wow, I must be really lucky then.  My wife and I both have Eris's (since May) and neither of us have problems.  Our phones are running 2.1 without issue.  Of course I'm still upgrading because I can.  One of the kids will be a proud owner of a hand-me-down Eris :smileywink:

0 Likes