Major problems after ICS on my Bionic
OmegaKamidake

So I've had the Bionic since it was released and have never had any major problems with it.  It wasn't until a few days ago when I woke up to a notice of the ICS update finally being available, so of course I pressed on Install now.  I ended up going to sleep again and waking up later to a frozen screen.  I did a battery pull since it was just frozen on the unlock screen, and after it booted up I was having issues with everything.  Half of my icons were gone, neither of my text messaging apps worked and would force close randomly.  I kept getting random reboots while just staring at my phone, sometimes many times in a row.

I ended up taking it to a couple different Verizon stores, the people at the first one told me they haven't heard of this problem nor did they know ICS was even out for Bionic yet, the second store was like "all you can do is FDR".  After being hesitant on doing that since I didn't want to lose anything, I finally did it.  After the restore, it hung on the "preparing system" screen for at least 2 hours before I finally did a forced restart.  After that it decided to continue with everything...things were going okay for a little while, until I started to reinstall my apps.  Then I started getting random reboots again, force closes on programs, and horrible battery life.  I decided to give it a couple days to maybe settle in, and well, I thought it was better, but last night I started getting random reboots again and force closes on a lot of apps. 

This is getting extremely irritating as I cannot use my phone much in fear of it crashing or rebooting itself.  In the time it took me to type this, it has restarted 2-3 times, which is why I'm glad I have a laptop instead of having to type this on my phone. 

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or should I request a replacement phone?  I have not rooted nor installed anything that changes system settings, and these problems only started after the ICS update, so it is not anything I did to my phone.

0 Likes
Re: Major problems after ICS on my Bionic
B33
Legend

One thing i will Tell you never Update a phone when half a sleep that's the same as getting in you Car and doing the same thing.

Ok when you done the Factory Reset did you do the Basic Reset or the Internal storage as Well)  The reason i ask doing both Sweeps of phone can sometimes cause serious Issues. If you done just the F.D.R. you should be Ok but it may take more than one to Right the ship correctly if you know what i mean and it might not Hurt Doing a System Cache Clear but i would try a F.D.R again it's gonna get any better so that's what i would Try if the phone was Mine... Good Luck ..b33 

Romka

I've got the same problem after the update 3 days ago. The homescreen keeps closing and reloading - that takes >10 seconds every time. This update made my phone unusable. I can't get to anything because the interface keeps rebooting. I tried restarting it, taking the battery out and factory reset. Nothing helped - it works fine for about 5 minutes and starts messing up again. I can't even answer a call on it because it just freezes when I use any interface features. OMG... Motorola never again!!!

I'm taking it to the store lets see what I can get out of them. Who is testing these updates? Monkeys? That's what causes people to switch to iphones.

0 Likes
OmegaKamidake

I didn't really have a choice in the matter of the update, lol.  It was either accept or cancel so I'm pretty sure the being "half asleep" wasn't the issue. All I know was I went and did a Factory Data Reset after all the first problems, and after that I just reinstalled everything.  Still having some issues, but I have cleared the cache as well already.  I'm going to take it into a Verizon store again and see if they will actually do something this time.  I don't want to do another FDR and have to re-download everything again if I can help it.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Understandable..  Hope it gets to working for ya.. b33

0 Likes
dversescottnmd
Enthusiast - Level 1

SAME HERE, SLOW OPERATIONS, SLOW TO DIAL IT ALL, THEY TOLD ME THEY WOULD SEND ME A NEW PHONE, IT WAS FINE BEFORE UPDATE.

0 Likes
reom73

Same thing here..before the update it was OK..droping the Data signal, but overall it was working fine. After the update everyhting is so slow, it takes at least 10 seconds to open an app

0 Likes
dcymbala001

Droid Bionic by Motorola on Verizon. -- 10/29/12 doing upgrade to ICS -- BIG PROBLEMS!!

It has been on "Android is upgrading -- Updating Media database" for over TWO HOURS!

Update software warned it could take 10 minutes. Download was fine from appearances.

I'm reluctant to do a battery pull, since I don't know if the little machine will work with a partially installed OS... Any warnings or suggestions out there????

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depending on how much media you have on your phone, updating the database can take a while.  Hopefully by now the update is complete and you are up and running again.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

That is True) And this calls out Totally Cool..

AlienWear Screeny.jpg

0 Likes