Low on Space?!?
jennster
Enthusiast - Level 3

my phone keeps saying (for the past week or longer now) that my application data is low on space, however- i have PLENTY of space on my phone....

in my settings, i have the following:

sd card:

total space 3.79

available 3.03

internal phone storage:

total space 6.60gb

available 6.54gb

phone memory

total 748 mb

aviailable 593 mb

someone suggested i have a virus- could that be?  if so, how the f do i get rid of it?  how the f did i get it?  etc.

please help, thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Low on Space?!?
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

its not the physical memory but the temp memory.. This has been an issue on almost every htc device ever made

go menu,setting,applications,manage applications, all.

go to htc.com.soicalnetwork , clear the data

Do the same for internet, facebook if you use it, and 2-3 other commonly used applications

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Also check your dialer storage via manage applications. Oh and if that makes you nervous then erase some multimedia messages. I saved my face texts, and erased everything else. Worked like a charm.
0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Thats fav texts.... Not face ha ha
0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

jennster, this issue was reviewed by our technical support team and we found that clearing the cache & data history on your phone should resolve the issue. If you continue to have the same problems, you can always perform a hard (factory reset) on your device.

Steps to clear your cache and data history:

1. From the home screen, touch the applications tab (located in the lower-left).

2. Touch Internet
  3. Touch Menu.

4. Touch More.

5. Touch Settings.

6. Touch Clear cache.
    Note Visited website content stored on the device. The cache enables the browser to download only the content that has changed since the last time a website was visited. Since the browser only downloads changed content, pages are loaded faster.

7. Touch OK.

8. Touch Clear history.
    Note A listing of URLs (website addresses) that have been recently visited.

9. Touch OK.

10. Touch Clear all cookie data.
    Note Cookies are used to store information that helps personalize the Web browsing experience. Cookies may contain information including: website preferences, login settings, shopping cart contents and more.

11. Touch OK.

Steps for factory rest (hard reset):

Performing a hard reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications. 

1. From the home screen, select the applications tab (located in the lower-left).

2. Select Settings.

3. Select SD & phone storage.

4. Select Factory data reset.

5. Select the reset option.
    Reset phone
    Resets the phone
    Reset phone & Internal storage
    Resets the phone and the internal storage
  6. Select Erase Everything.

0 Likes
shmart06
Enthusiast - Level 3

By erasing all my texts it seemed to help. Its def the temp memory. Happens to a computer sometimes too. Like having a word document open without saving it. sucks up your mem

0 Likes
reusable51

There is no permanent solution.  HTC has allocated only 149MB of Application data storage.  This is a design flaw which has nothing to do with you.  The geek community (includes Verizon Tech Support) will have you jumping through hoops to reset your phone, move apps to the SD card, clearing the Cache, resetting your phone, tapping your head while rubbing your stomach at the same time, breaking up with your girlfriend. 

It is what it is; 149MB is crap!  Go to Menu/Settings/SD & phone Storage/Application data storage.  You'll see Total space vs. Available space.  I ran across a Blog that said you need to have at least 25MB of available space to eliminate the the Low on Space icon (don't know if that's correct).

The most logical fixes are to move your apps to your SD card and making sure you don't have a decades worth of Text's and Emails on your phone.  Other than that, nothing you can do will permanently work.  I assume this all changed after the Gingerbread update, since I don't remember ever having this issue.

I personally use Vlingo (great app), but that takes up over 80MB of space so there's nothing I can do.

The Geek community needs to come up with a way to disable the Low on Memory Icon.  I called HTC and they were worthless.  The HTC Geek told me to download the Low Memory app on the Market (notice how they don't acknowledge the 149MB limit?) to fix the problem.  I gave it a try, but it didn't work (app is rated 1 Star...go figure).

The 600 pound Gorilla in the room is the 149MB limit.  No one wants to acknowledge this and everyone has you running around in circles.

I think a little black nail polish on the screen to cover the icon would work just fine (don't try this at home unless you're a professional).

0 Likes