Lost Droid X
Morbid_Fun

Hi: I switched to Verizon from Sprint a few months ago and I have a four line family account. We all use Windows Phones except for the relative in Boise and she happened to have lost her Droid X at a grocery store.

So far I have been frustrated with my experiences attempting to locate the phone. With our Windows Phones we have a page we can go to and select locate to find them, with Sprint we could also had a $5.99 account level family locater service and locate any phone, but it appears that she has to install an app onto her Droid for Verizon's overpriced family locater service to actually work. Does not seem logical to me.

Does the community know of any other way to locate her phone, or am I up $%!* creek? Thank you for your time and whatever information you have.

Brian

0 Likes
Re: Lost Droid X
rcschnoor
Legend

With an Android device, if you had the device in your posession, you could install "Lookout Security and Antivirus" for this capability.

Since you lost the device prior to installling this app, the developer of this app also has another app which will locate your device. Go to the Android Market and have "Plan B" installed to your phone. The only thing is that the phone must be on, which obviously means you have to do this before the battery dies. I have never tried it, but it claims to do what you want.

Edit: I do have Lookout Security & Antivirus installed on my Droid X and it DOES work and will find my phone. It even makes the phone emit an audible alarm even if it is on vibrate. I am unsure if Plan B does the same, though. Either way, once you find your phone, I highly recommend installing Lookout Security & Antivirus.

0 Likes
Morbid_Fun

Hi:

Thank you for attempting to answer the question. The phone was lost prior to installing any apps. However, I am at a loss as to why Verizon and Google make you install an app to track the phone. With Windows Phone specifically and Sprint in general I never had to do this before. VZW and Google seem to just want to make money off of this.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

try the Plan B app that can be remotely installed.

and yes, you are correct. on verizon android devices it is up to you to  install an app for this (there are a number of free ones available in the market. i use "seek droid"). many people actually find this preferable, as it is your choice as to whether or not you want someone to be able to pinpoint your location.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Did you happen to have ANY antivirus APP installed on it?  specifically, LOOKOUT ? It has a "Missing Device" feature that you manage from the web site online.  For anyone else who has yet to install a "Missing Device" type of APP, also take a look at "Android Lost" -- it has the ability to actually wake the phone up & WIPE it ... in the event someone steals your phone.

Good luck.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Did you not read my message. Go to the link for Plan B from any computer. You can have the app installed to your phone from the computer. Plan B is to help you find your phone AFTER you have lost it, in case you have not already installed the app. Lookout Security & Antivirus is to install after you have found your phone. Both apps are free and will cost you nothing.

0 Likes
Morbid_Fun

Thank you everyone for all the input. To rcschnoor: I misinterpreted your message and apologize. I will ask her what she had installed and then pursue the Plan B route for now.  To Azsaluki: Is seek droid an app that can be remote installed as well?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

no...it has to be done prior to losing it. Plan B is the only one that i'm aware of that can be remotely installed. check it out here for a review:

http://lifehacker.com/5828197/plan-b-locates-your-lost-or-stolen-android-phone-even-if-you-didnt-ins...

and here is the actual market link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb&hl=en

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I might mention that you must be signed into the Android Market with the account associated with the phone to be able to install it remotely. In this case, if you want to do it, you will have to get the signin credentials from the relative who lost the phone.

0 Likes