Losing data connection
ts

I've been losing my data connection periodically.  I'm guessing it is when I get into an area with poor service, which would be expected.  The problem is that after getting back to a strong signal, the data connection does not re-establish.  I show several bars of signal, but no 3G or 1x next to it (and a message that the data network is unavailable when trying to do something that would require Internet access).  Rebooting the phone or switching in and out of Airplane mode seems to take care of the problem, but this is a real pain having to do this - especially since I work in a "black hole" for wireless signal.

Is anyone else experiencing this and have you found any kind of solution?  This forum seems to have better information than Verizon support!

TIA

0 Likes
Re: Losing data connection
mmarino23

same issue here my old phone had no trouble with data at my office, Moto Droid doesnt pick up 3g service automatically. But you were right about the airplane mode switching on and off. that did the trick, but very annoying for sure

0 Likes
fly78621

Same issues!  Still trying to find a solution.  It looks like this phone relies on a signal to operate...... not good.

0 Likes
fly78621

replied earlier....  just talked to Verizon Tech support.  They have no clue how to fix this problem.  Seems as though I am the only only who has officially logged this problem with them.

EVERYONE with this problem needs to call Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Ardoreal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did the rep have you do the ol *228 thing?

0 Likes
ts

I sent an e-mail to support about this - no reply yet.

Incidentally, I have done *228 multiple times but it doesn't make any difference.

0 Likes
fly78621

To start with my phone was down so much I didn't receive your responses unti 12:15 am.

tried the *228 don't know if it helped yet.  Verizon never said a word about it.

thanks.....

0 Likes
ts

UPDATE:

I have heard from two Verizon reps on this issue - the first advised me to return the phone.  Here is her response...

With our Worry Free Guarantee, you may return your wireless equipment, for any reason, within 30 days of purchase. Please ensure you return the original box, including the UPC Code, intact with all components (phone, charger, battery, instructions, etc.). All components must be in like-new condition. All returns must be accompanied by the original receipt and will only be granted to the actual purchaser whose name appears on the receipt.

At our discretion, we may decline your return or charge you a fee for missing items or items that we determine are damaged or require service. If we accept your equipment return within this period, we will refund your equipment purchase price.

I replied that I really didn't want to return the phone because I thought this was a software glitch and a different phone wouldn't make a difference if that were the case.  I explained in more detail what I was finding and asked if there was some kind of "watchdog" function that would automatically detect when the network connection was lost and automatically attempt to re-connect when the phone received signal again (I thought I may have disabled it accidentally).  I then received a much more detailed response from an "Analyst - Tech Support".

Thank you for contacting Verizonwireless.  We appreciate the feedback on the Motorola Droid and have forwarded your findings to the appropriate department for further investigation.

With most devices, a period of time exists where we do receive feedback on the device for operational abilities etc.  Periodically as a result of this information, software updates or maintenance release's will be offered as an update via the phone or via download from our support site.  www.verizonwireless.com/support.

Currently we have seen additional reports as it pertains to the exchange server function, that have already been listed as being enhanced with the next update for software on the phone.  Unfortunately, we do not have a concrete timeline for the release as I'm sure once developed, the update will need to be tested thoroughly prior to release.

Regarding a "watchdog" application, there are of course a multitude of applications available for this device as well we anticipate many more with the open platform structure of the Droid.  At this time, I am not aware of such program, however I would continue to monitor the marketplace for programs that will fit your needs.

If you should have any further questions or concerns regarding your device, or how it is operating, at your convenience please contact us at 1-800-922-0204.

At this point I don't know if I should return the phone or wait it out for the "fix".

0 Likes
ivorycruncher
Contributor - Level 1

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but just the other day, my Eris decided it wanted to switch to 1X mode for all data transfer.  I had plenty of signal, and with no data flowing, it showed the 3G icon, but it switched to 1X when any data started transfering.  I just rebooted the phone, and that seems to have fixed it.  For now, anyway.

0 Likes
ivorycruncher
Contributor - Level 1

Oh, nevermind.  I just realized the exact issue I just mentioned has been officially acknowledged and will be fixed in the OTA update on Dec. 11th.  The current workaround is exactly what I did, which is power cycling (rebooting) the phone.

0 Likes