List of droid charge problem encountered so far
tzhou

Have been using the droid charge for more than a month. I have to say this is a nice phone but with lots of problems. I thought it may be useful for both Verizon/Samsung and the users to start a list of droid charge issues we encounter during daily usage, this may help to solve some of the most complained issues. Here are some that I found:

1. Unexpected reboot with no reason;

2. Screen lock-up during web browsing--need to remove battery to restart;

3. GPS takes very long time to pin down its location, sometimes takes as long as 10-mile highway driving;

4. Black screen when using camera flash, needs to remove/reinsert battery;

5. Sometimes the phone complains "no SD card inserted", but after removing battery and restart, the file system problem goes away;

6. Sometimes needs to toggle airplane mode to get 4G connection;

7. Sometimes it takes ~1 minute to load the application list after tapping the Application icon at the lower right corner of home screen;

What else?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: List of droid charge problem encountered so far
Not applicable

Thank you for posting your comprehensive lists of the issues you are having.  Verizon Wireless is working tirelessly with Samsung to resolve these issues.  Please stay tuned for software updates to resolve some of these issues.  Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

tzhou wrote:

1. Unexpected reboot with no reason; I have only had two reboots in almost 2 months

2. Screen lock-up during web browsing--need to remove battery to restart; Nope 

3. GPS takes very long time to pin down its location, sometimes takes as long as 10-mile highway driving; Not that bad 

4. Black screen when using camera flash, needs to remove/reinsert battery; See link below

5. Sometimes the phone complains "no SD card inserted", but after removing battery and restart, the file system problem goes away; Nope

6. Sometimes needs to toggle airplane mode to get 4G connection; Yes I do this to

7. Sometimes it takes ~1 minute to load the application list after tapping the Application icon at the lower right corner of home screen; Nope, but I use Launcher Pro

What else?

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Charge-by-Samsung/Camera-flash-kills-shuts-down-and-locks-up-Droid...

0 Likes
nbg2

I had a couple of reboots when not expected in the space of a month.  Happily, the Droid Charge reboots very very fast.  I used to have to wait 10 minutes for my Blackberry to reboot.  As for the other problems you mention, I have had none with my Droid Charge.  But here are some irksome issues about the Samsung Droid Charge that you didn't raise: 

1- Samsung MediaHub doesn't permit HDMI out.  What is the point of an app by Samsung on a Samsung device that won't work with a hardware feature built into the phone.  HDMI out was one of the two reasons I picked the Droid Charge over the HTC Thunderbolt. 

2 - The other (MAIN) reason I picked the Charge over the TBolt was battery life.  What I now find is that if I kill apps running in the background that I don't need, shut down 4G and limit myself to CDMA, shut down GPS, reduce screen brightness and stop syncing I can eke 12 hours out of the phone.  But what I end up with is a phone that has telephony, limited web browsing and non-push email AND NONE OF THE GOODIES THAT MADE ME WANT TO BUY A 4G LTE Android phone.  Yes, the Charge does seem to have better battery performance that the HTC Thunderbolt (and perhaps the LG Revolution), but it still isn't adequate.  So, how about a REAL solution to the battery drain problem!  ONE SOLUTION WOULD BE FOR SAMSUNG OR VERIZON TO PRODUCE A RECHARGEABLE HOLSTER OR A RECHARGEABLE CASE LIKE THE ONES PRODUCED BY POWER-SKIN, INC. FOR SOME OTHER DEVICES.

0 Likes
TXWJ

1) Charge will reboot by itself. It does this 1-2 times a week, not nearly as much as the Thunderbolt was doing (10-15 times a day)

2. Sometimes it just hangs up on a screen

3. Does not download emails and I have to reboot it to pick them up.

4. Does not always want to play nice with Ford Sync, getting it to stream audio is sometimes a challenge and then other times it does not want to connect to make a call.

5. There are many apps that are not supported which suprises me on such a new device, you would think that it would be able to handle netfilx and others. It is the best device they sell right now.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you for posting your comprehensive lists of the issues you are having.  Verizon Wireless is working tirelessly with Samsung to resolve these issues.  Please stay tuned for software updates to resolve some of these issues.  Thank you.

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

I had the Tbolt for a couple of months.  Went through a couple of them to the point where I wasn't even bothering to personalize my rings, etc.  I noticed similar issues as you are describing for the Charge...rebooting spontaneously, GPS not locking on, calls dropping,etc.  I started living with the Tbolt in spite of its quirks although I would get really mad when my phone would reboot during a business call.  But last week I went out of town and the GPS didn't work at all.  Not at all.  I went into a Verizon store and the store manager said "oh, it should always say searching for GPS because it is always searching..."  RIght.  And he was "surprised" that my phone reboots itself.  After staring at my phone for a while, he did suggest getting another phone to which I readily agreed.

Oh, my gosh, I had to laugh when he told me that he would NOT ship me a phone to my hotel or the office where I was working and I would have to wait until I got home because "these are very expensive phones".  (who paid for the dang thing?  I know who - me!)  I asked if I could call tech support to get this resolved and he said no that I would need to come into a store and they would go through the whole trouble shooting process again with me.  UGH!!! 

So when I got home, I went straight to a Verizon store and I let them have my phone while I browsed the store and they said they would get me another phone - a different phone - a Samsung Charge which they said would be HUGELY better.  I had the extended length battery on the Tbolt and they gave me a comparable battery for the Charge.  It comes to my house tomorrow and I hope it is okay.  But I have to laugh because many of your gripes were mine with the Tbolt. 

So... is it the newer versions of the Android OS or the 4G network?  Certainly two different manufacturers would have the same bugs in their logic.  My original Droid didn't have these problems except I dropped it in water and it died.  But that was a good phone compared to the Tbolt.

0 Likes
NoqturnalX

SammuelP wrote:

Good Luck, As for the Guy who had the TBolt. Sorry to hear that dude. My sister just picked one of those up and she loves it. No problems yet. I have had my Charge since last Wed and love it as well. But unfortunately for me mine came with a bad battery which I got replaced today. The battery had difficulty maintaining a charge so it'd die within 6 hours with very little use. My sister's Thunderbolt outlasted my charge lol. But now that's all resolved I have a new battery and am getting better battery life out of it. Sometimes there's a bad apple in the fruit basket and with the pressure these OEM's feel to push out more of these phones maybe some thngs get rushed or things that barely pass QoS wich should call for a re-check get by unnoticed.

I did notice something interesting though today while I was in Koreatown. There's 4G but no 3G. They have a CDMA network (where I was at) but no Ev-DO networks. SO my choices were just CDMA & LTE. If I locked my Droid Charge into CDMA Only (Where i'd assume it'd pick up the Ev-DO 3G network) it would only place calls. No internet connectivity. Weird. First time i've ever seen that. Maybe it was the heat. It was pretty hot out today

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

My first unit was quarked. It wouldn't charge or hodl a charge. Replaced it and all is fine. THe other family models are ok (knock on wood).

My second unit I got is fine. It has rebooted before the manually applied EE4 update a coupel times on me. Nothing major. I get strong 4g/3g connectiosn in the main areas, except in bad general cell areas. Now I actually get better phone reception, and chance of 3g in those areas over my old Droid 2 global which got nothing at all out there.

GPS is ok. It is better then my Tom Tom which I hated becuase all 3 models I tried took several minutes at times to lock the satellite, the phone seems to grab it within 15 seconds.

Like most droids, I HATE THE BLOATWARE.

0 Likes
stonleet
Enthusiast - Level 2

1. Unexpected reboot with no reason; Yes this has happened to me a few times normally inside an application.

6. Sometimes needs to toggle airplane mode to get 4G connection; Yes, I've seen this.

7. Sometimes it takes ~1 minute to load the application list after tapping the Application icon at the lower right corner of home screen; also the home screen takes a bit to load up the more icons you have on it and the other pages.

What else?

8. Doesn't stay connected via bluetooth to Ford Sync (disconnects after 1 minute)

0 Likes
droidorbb

Hi.  I hope this is true.  I have been holding on to my Blackberry Tour because the Droid Charge seems to have so many issues, like what has been listed here.  The Blackberry required far fewer steps to accomplish the most simple of tasks.  I had to take my battery out at least 3 times today after trying to take photos.

One issue I didn't see listed, that I continue to experience is that sometimes when I call out I can't hear the phone ringing or any type of noise indicating it is connected.  yet, it is ringing on the other end to the person I called.  They can't hear me, and I can't hear them, yet we are connected.

Once I am past my 14 days from purchase, what are my options to return the phone for full money back?  How long do you guess until Verizon resolves these many issues?

0 Likes