Re: It's August 16th and we have yet to see Android OS 2.2 (Froyo).
pamela984

I have been a Verizon customer for 20 years - love Verizon (mostly) - but not loving that phones are being rolled out with all of their problems - trying to compete with the iPhone has clouded Verizon's judgment - Love my Incredible (when it works) - will love it more with 2.2 - if and when I get it.  Come on Verizon - tell us something

0 Likes
firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

I most definitely understand the frustration of now knowing when the 2.2 update is going to be available. However at this time that information is not available to us. Once we get information as to when the update for the Incredible is available, we will post it. Hope this helps!

Casonia

0 Likes
FramCire

Despite a lack of information, thank you for being the first VZW employee to brave these threads.   I wish you could tell us more, but I understand you have no information to share!

Please tell your bosses that they could let us in.  Let us know it failed internal testing, whatever!!!

People are waiting for FIXES!!!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

firstlady09 wrote:

I most definitely understand the frustration of now knowing when the 2.2 update is going to be available. However at this time that information is not available to us. Once we get information as to when the update for the Incredible is available, we will post it. Hope this helps!

Casonia

Sorry, but, its the same exact line that we all have been hearing forever and a day now.  While its true that some may not know...there are people that do.  I'm sick and tired of what is seemingly the lack of will in trying to dig and find out what is going on.  The INC users have been plagued with stock shortages, defective devices and such.  Now we get the slap in the face on what appears to be a constant delay in releasing a badly needed update that fixes horrible sound quality and battery issues...among other things.  So no....it does not help.  I'm sure it was obvious that what you said wouldn't help so why bother?  If anything, it throws gasoline into the fire.  VZW customers pay a premium for its service and yet we get stuck with people purposely being silent or extremely poor software engineers.  Either way....its bad.

0 Likes
FramCire

Do you seriously believe the person who posted has any way of sharing information with us?  The answer is a simple no. 

Verizon has a plan.  However, that plan assumes the update passes testing.  Once it passes testing, chances are we will wait for whatever device is being updated to finish.  Then we should be up.

I will not claim inside sources but I would bet that the update will begin as soon as Droid updates are finished (sometime before or on Aug 28th).  I think it is safe to say the latest test failed but according to most rooted users (I am not one), I can only guess the failure was not anything major. If it didnt fail test, we can assume they want to finish Droid update first.

All this said, I would love some informaiton, but I doubt even Verizon will be confident of the exact date until 48 hours before.

Spring and the Droid updates are good reasons why waiting isnt always the worst thing.

(I have call quality issues, BTW, if you think I say this becauae I dont need the fixes!)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not saying that person knew anything. I was saying that there are people there that do.

I was thinking the same as you that our update would probably start around the time when the Droids finish. I hope its right. :smileywink:
0 Likes
T-Reb

I bet that the longer they delay they Froyo release the more people will go over to XDA and figure out how to root their device and install Froyo from someone who has made it work.  There are some amazing roms (like SkyRaider) that work flawlessly with the Droid Inc  and Sense and then others (like Cyenogenmod) that work great with Froyo and no Sense.

I really think they are just shooting themselves in the foot by delaying the release and not having an official release date.  Sprint did it for the EVO, I would think Verizon could do it.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

IBTL!   :smileywink:

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

SBacklin wrote:

firstlady09 wrote:

Casonia

Sorry, but, its the same exact line that we all have been hearing forever and a day now.  While its true that some may not know...there are people that do.  I'm sick and tired of what is seemingly the lack of will in trying to dig and find out what is going on.  The INC users have been plagued with stock shortages, defective devices and such.  Now we get the slap in the face on what appears to be a constant delay in releasing a badly needed update that fixes horrible sound quality and battery issues...among other things.  So no....it does not help.  I'm sure it was obvious that what you said wouldn't help so why bother?  If anything, it throws gasoline into the fire.  VZW customers pay a premium for its service and yet we get stuck with people purposely being silent or extremely poor software engineers.  Either way....its bad.

LoL.  No one knows.  There have been 3 different candidates submitted the first 2 have been rejected.  The third should have been submitted last week so at the soonest there is another 10 days.  It could be longer than that.  Remember Android is part of the open initiative so it has to go through the approvals.  Each new version essentially qualifies as a new phone so it has to go through the manditory testing processes.   There seems to be some can we disable that and change this etc etc etc.  Once Verizon approves one (minimum of 2 weeks testing) it will be released.  HTC has to pass each piece of the puzzle so after all the work of re configuring and reprogramming Sense if any piece of it is deemed to not run right they have to take it back fix it and resubmit.  It takes time.     Also there were problems with the Droid Rollout where it got stalled at least once, restarted completely at least once and who knows what all else because it has taken forever to roll it out.  They can't roll out two at once and since Droid was done first DINC has to wait till Droid is done to get their turn.  So it is more complicated than someone knows but isn't telling.  Literally no one knows because a lot of things can happen and in fact a lot is already happening.  HTC is pretty confident since they seem to have posted the source for the Kernel.  That is a pretty good sign.  There is still a lot of red tape to jump through so that is where we are now.  Once that is done a date will be set and it will more than likely change several times. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

fezzik wrote:

SBacklin wrote:

firstlady09 wrote:

Casonia

LoL.  No one knows.  There have been 3 different candidates submitted the first 2 have been rejected.  The third should have been submitted last week so at the soonest there is another 10 days.  It could be longer than that.  Remember Android is part of the open initiative so it has to go through the approvals.  Each new version essentially qualifies as a new phone so it has to go through the manditory testing processes.   There seems to be some can we disable that and change this etc etc etc.  Once Verizon approves one (minimum of 2 weeks testing) it will be released.  HTC has to pass each piece of the puzzle so after all the work of re configuring and reprogramming Sense if any piece of it is deemed to not run right they have to take it back fix it and resubmit.  It takes time.     Also there were problems with the Droid Rollout where it got stalled at least once, restarted completely at least once and who knows what all else because it has taken forever to roll it out.  They can't roll out two at once and since Droid was done first DINC has to wait till Droid is done to get their turn.  So it is more complicated than someone knows but isn't telling.  Literally no one knows because a lot of things can happen and in fact a lot is already happening.  HTC is pretty confident since they seem to have posted the source for the Kernel.  That is a pretty good sign.  There is still a lot of red tape to jump through so that is where we are now.  Once that is done a date will be set and it will more than likely change several times. 

Lol, some people do know....at least they know where it is at in terms of progress.  Of course we all want 2.2 but what is making a lot of people upset is the utter lack of talk from VZW.   If they can't give us 2.2 right now...fine but, keep us informed on the progress/status.

0 Likes